Bought my first live rock! (see pic)

kosarfan

Am very excited. Thanks to all who have helped so far.
Got the sand in and bought some base live rock(to go with some rock I already had from my old Cichlid tank). I have a 220 watt pc light kit and skimmer coming in on Thursday. I am running a wet/dry trickle filter and have one powerhead so far. Plan on buying a second. Where are the best places to put the powerheads?
Also, should I add some crushed coral as well? (stabilize ph?)
Let me know if you think I'm getting off to an ok start. Lastly, I know people have ranges for salinity. What is the ideal level for a reef tank?
Thanks,
Brandon

arkey.d

Looks Great! Welcome to the site!
No need to add the Crush Coral. If you want to Email Me I'll send ya some links to online distributers. We can't post them here in the forum.

obarrera

IMO a reef tank should have a specific gravity of 1.025-1.026,and what do you mean you got base live rock?
Did you get base rock or live rock?
BTW,I believe trickle filters are bad for reef tanks,I would make my own sump/refugium if I were you.
What kind of skimmer are you getting?
Oh and I wouldn't get the crush coral,it's ugly(IMO) and it will give you nitrate problems.

kosarfan

Thanks for the salinity info....what I meant by base rock is that I bought relatively inexpensive live rock as my base...nice rock will later be stacked on top of the "base" rock.
I've never heard a trickle wet/dry to be bad? My skimmer is a venturi type that sits in the sump.

fishcake

It's not that it's bad I think he meant that it is outdated .
Wet/dry filters end up becoming nitrate factory's if left unchecked.
You're better off using the sump/refugium..... Natural filtration method.