Bought some Stuff today - few questions

al&burke

I went Boxing Day shopping today - I bought about 25 lbs of base dry rock I have it soaking in a bucket of water, right now my DT has about 50 lbs of live rock (1 year almost to the day) - I am going to soak the rock and monitor the pH. Take it out and scrub it then soak it again do you think this is good enough. Also bought two Eheim/Jager 150 watt heaters for the 65 planted tank, one bi-colored blennie and some frozen mysis. I know meowzer had a thread going about submerging heater this one specifically says Fully Submersible. I also bought another set of 36" long T5HO Aquatic Life lights - so now my 65 reef will have 6 - 39 watts T5HO bulbs on it - half actinic and half 10000 K bulbs - 2 of my original set need to be changed and I am going to try to set it up with with some purples and other colors (as per another thread is saw here) copied down the names of the bulbs. And bouth another identical set of lights from Aquatic Life but in freshwater bulbs to go with an existing set I already have. Let me know what you guys/gals think.

al&burke

I just fed the tank some mysis and the bi-colored blennie was eating - good sign - got to get the new lights up now. Going to have to modify my hood a bit.

acrylic51

Can't wait for pics Al.....The heaters were perfectly fine to be submerged before.....SCSInet gave the exact specifics that I couldn't recall why they weren't labeled that way, but they are still the same quality heaters before the acquisition......PICS!!!!!

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions#post_3343452
Can't wait for pics Al.....The heaters were perfectly fine to be submerged before.....SCSInet gave the exact specifics that I couldn't recall why they weren't labeled that way, but they are still the same quality heaters before the acquisition......PICS!!!!!
I am using the two heaters in the FW set up - they are glass - I haven't put the new dry rock in yet - been hetic around here tomorrow pictures.

al&burke

I put the rock in looks awesome (I think) will have some pictures shortly once everything clears up.

flower

Wow you sure got some great rock pieces, did you hand pick each one? Looks good, with lots of ledges for more coral.

al&burke

I hand picked them, not crazy about the left side yet but I will get more in a couple of weeks. eally happy with it - fish sure didn't like it when I was moving stuff around. Thanks Flower

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions#post_3343607
I hand picked them, not crazy about the left side yet but I will get more in a couple of weeks. eally happy with it - fish sure didn't like it when I was moving stuff around. Thanks Flower

If you can, make a cave, the fish will forgive you if you give them a cave to swim through...they love them. You did a really good job on rock choices. I hand picked mine too, it makes a big difference.

al&burke

Actually the coral beauty in the original live rock had a real nice cave now the cave goes the whole length of the rock scape - I think they will like it - bi colored blenny is doing some exploring, came as the cleaner shrimp. It is finally starting to look like a reef. Clearing up now I will take some more pictures. Do pulsing xenia's need a lot of flow?

spanko

Al you know I love you man so please don't take this the wrong way, but it just looks like a pile of rocks to me. Maybe because I can't see what you have in mind for coral placement and types but it looks like they are not placed with any thought on an aquascape.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions#post_3343625
Al you know I love you man so please don't take this the wrong way, but it just looks like a pile of rocks to me. Maybe because I can't see what you have in mind for coral placement and types but it looks like they are not placed with any thought on an aquascape.
I appreciate constructive criticism, I think the pictures don't give it justice, there are alot of ledges and caves - don't have a lot of corals yet. I don't like the left side at all - need a few more pieces for sure. What could I do different? Here are a few more pictures spanko, I love you too man, LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions#post_3343622
Actually the coral beauty in the original live rock had a real nice cave now the cave goes the whole length of the rock scape - I think they will like it - bi colored blenny is doing some exploring, came as the cleaner shrimp. It is finally starting to look like a reef. Clearing up now I will take some more pictures. Do pulsing xenia's need a lot of flow?

Medium flow on Xenia, they need to be able to sit upright and not be blown over on their side but not low flow or they droop..does that make sense?
Spanko, I think he is working on the aquascape he has more rock to add and such.
EDIT:
On aquascape...I got some long flat base rock to use as a ledge to create a big cave that can be seen from a front view. This was a pic of my tank before the heater broke taken last year.

spanko

Al the important thing is that you like it.
I think it is too centered, meaning when you look at it head on the highest point is dead center of the tank and your eyes are drawn there. Also does not look like a lot of places for fish to roam through the rocks. This may be okay, again not knowing your plans, if you are looking to keep more rock dwelling types of fish but open swimmers are regulated to the area over the rock.
Just my observations.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions#post_3343628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions#post_3343622

Medium flow on Xenia, they need to be able to sit upright and not be blown over on their side but not low flow or they droop..does that make sense?
Spanko, I think he is working on the aquascape he has more rock to add and such.
EDIT:
On aquascape...I got some long flat base rock to use as a ledge to create a big cave that can be seen from a front view. This was a pic of my tank before the heater broke taken last year.

I like that Flower - nice big cave, I have a problem with the left side of my tank my BTA is in under a rock, he has been there from day 1 - a sorta have to work around her. Thanks for the input.

meowzer

Can you take the rock that the bta is on and flip it over??? That may help.....I can see what Henry is saying....I don't see a lot of openings
You do have some great rock though....I stink at aquascaping.....most of mine was done with a lot of help from my husband, and a few times I felt like throwing him in the tank LOL

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions#post_3343630
Al the important thing is that you like it.
I think it is too centered, meaning when you look at it head on the highest point is dead center of the tank and your eyes are drawn there. Also does not look like a lot of places for fish to roam through the rocks. This may be okay, again not knowing your plans, if you are looking to keep more rock dwelling types of fish but open swimmers are regulated to the area over the rock.
Just my observations.
Thanks Spanko - I respect your input I have seen your tanks. I agree with the centered high rock, i think I will build up the right higher than the center to offset the eye drawing, 1/3 rules right. The rocks do have a lot of space between them for the fish to swim. I don't have any real free swimmers - except the CB he likes to go in the rocks.
I have
2 osc clowns,
2 banggai cardinals
2 blue/gren chromis
1 bi-colored blennie
1 cleaner shrimp
1 emerald crab
1 porcelain crab
lots of turbos, nassarius snails
1 bristle star
This is a 65 gallon - 36L x 18W x 24H.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382687/bought-some-stuff-today-few-questions#post_3343640
Can you take the rock that the bta is on and flip it over??? That may help.....I can see what Henry is saying....I don't see a lot of openings
You do have some great rock though....I stink at aquascaping.....most of mine was done with a lot of help from my husband, and a few times I felt like throwing him in the tank LOL
I am afraid she is on 2 or 3 rocks, she hasn't moved since I got her. The one rock in the middle the shelf like does stick out. That is where I want to put a clam. Thanks meowzer. I think once it starts filling up with corals it is going to make a difference.

meowzer

LOL....so when you take your pictures do all your fish hide
I see someone hiding in the back in the first pic..looks like a coral beauty....but you don't mention one in your list LOL