Boxfish a Killer?

sharkey708

I have heard that boxfish will release toxin into the water if they are stressed. Well, I also have a boxfish in my tank. Could this be the case or would he have to cdie to release this poisn? Also, if he did release a toxin, wouldnt he wipe out all the fish, and not just a select few?

neowind

Most of the time Box Fish will not release the toxins even sometimes if they die. If they are killed or feel like they are getting ready to be killed they will release the toxins which would most likely kill all species in the tank.

pufferman

It depends on what species of boxfish you're talking about. Some of boxfishes (i.e spotted boxfish and longhorn cowfish) are more likely to release ostracitoxin than others like cubicus or thornback. I've had all of them (except the spotted one) before, and even under very stressful conditions they never released toxin(at least it seemed to me!). I also heard that some of them have less potent toxin than others. If you think about getting a boxfish, then go with thorback. They're the most uniquely shaped fish, and they don't get as big as other cousins. I have one right now, and it's full of personality.