Boxfish

brandib

I am considering buying a boxfish for my 65 gallon fish only peaceful tank.....it this a good fish

babyb

no it is not a good fish, they are courious and they get big and they can release toxin when they are stressed

rara12

I disagree, they are great fish. And not impossible. In a 65g you really only have the option of the helmet cow. Gets to be 6" tops and can be housed in your tank for life. Another pro to this guy is that he is less likely to release toxins then other cow and box fish. Only keep one. Most of the time if a cow releases its toxins its due to competition. Keep with peaceful fish.
P.S. cowfish cant release their toxins when dead and 9/10 times dont release toxins when on their way out. Keep lots of carbon on hand just in case.
Oh and if your running extra carbon in the tank, if it does release its toxins, depending on how much it releases, the tank might not even be affected.

petjunkie

Yeah actually boxfish are good for peaceful tanks although I wouldn't recommend for a beginner, good fish for someone who knows how to take care of them and what to do if it does decide to release toxins. Don't see too many helmet cows around ever but a lfs near me has a blue boxfish with a bunch of damsels and tangs! Really amazes me every time I go in there and everything's still alive.

miaheatlvr

A quote by "LIONCRAZE"
"-Box/Cowfish - Boxfish and cowfish should not be kept because of their dangers to the aquarium. If harassed or killed, the boxfish/cowfish can release a toxin that would kill everything in the aquarium." I trust him.. i wouldnt get one.

mmm33732

ive had a cowfish boxfish for about 8 months now with no problems at all. hes a curious guy though. tries to eat a little of everything. cought him picking at my new pulsating xenia, so hes gotta go now. other then that though, its been a great fish. they're crazy looking watching then swim and hover around. they look like little space ships sometimes. if i wasnt getting into more and more corals, i would love to keep it.

nick76

very cool little fish, but id only suggest if you've been keeping sw for a # of years and know exactly how to care for its specific needs.

its>salty<

not a good idea! i had a small cubicus and it was very hard to feed! unless a good size and eating healthy...no! and the toxins were a scare wen it died to say i stay away from them!