Boxing Crab

duke13

aka the 'Pom Pom' crab
I got mine today. I'm so happy, by far the coolest crab in my collection. He's only about 1/2 inch big, awesome personality so far.

duke13

Sorry, no pics yet. I'll try to take some pics soon.
I got them from a local saltwater fish seller. Most sites online never have them in stock. She said that she could get them easily through her suppliers. She had 3 of them in stock.
Regarding compatibility with others, no problems so far. I have a coral band shrimp and tons of hermit crabs (2 that are 3x larger than the boxer crab). Unfortunately, I don't have any other types of crabs, but I'm quite sure it would get along with everyone just fine.

peejfish

sounds awesome, lets get some pics! I've been wanting to get one of these badboys for my upcoming reef and I want to know if its really active?

duke13

Sorry, my digital camera was borrowed by my brother, as soon as I get it back, I'll have pics for you guys.
Regarding activity, he's more nocturnal. I have seen him move during the day a few times, but mostly at night is when he does his business. However, when he moves, it's very entertaining. He walks around like he's doing karate, waving his 'pom poms'. He doesn't get really big though, probably about an inch.
I'm not sure what he costs though. My LFS owner owed me a favor so I got him in a trade. I really don't see these guys available online too often either.

saltydave

i put a hold on boxer crab today:jumping: :jumping: :jumping: !!! he had molted today so i'll let him get all situated be4 i bring him home. have u had any problem w/ him going after shrimps? tell me what u've learned so far. i p/u fri
thanks dave

magnus042

this may sound silly but do they come with the anemones?? and do those anemones need good lighting?? just wondering.....

duke13

He comes with little anenomes. When he molts, he sets them down and picks them up when he's done.
I have a Coral Banded Shrimp in my tank and he gets along with him just fine.

meadbhb

Hiya,
I'm thinking of getting one for my tank. So, I'm interested in knowing if they need the special lighting for anenomies too.
Meadbhb

duke13

No special lighting is needed as far as I'm concerned. I'm not running any corals (or anything really light dependant for that matter) in my tank. All I have is 30 watt bulb and the anenomes have been doing just fine.

duke13

Let me know how much they're selling them for. They can get pretty expensive since they're considered a 'collector's item'.

meadbhb

Hiya,
Duke, picked up a boxer tonight. It's about the size of a penny, paid $8.99 for it. I'll probably never see it again considering it's size, but I hope so!
Meadbhb

duke13

Wow, I'm shocked that you got him so cheap.
Almost all of my sources say they can be ordered and sold for at least $20. You got yourself a good deal there. Enjoy him.

meadbhb

Hiya,
I intend too. I just hope to see him every once in a while.
Hey, how much should I pay for a anenome crab? My stores got them for $11.
Meadbhb