Brain confusion

rackyrane

I am confused about the brain corals. I have read alot and still don't know which one to get. What's the difference between cyanarinas and scolomias? Which opens and gets bigger--the open or closed ones? I really want one of these but I want to get an easy one for a newbie. TIA.

saltn00b

the scolomias are not brains, they are a different type of LPS. also called, Modern Coral, Meat Coral, Donut Coral. very pretty and different. not a brain.
the easiest brains are the Open Brain corals, then after that, the closed brains like the pineapple, favites, maze, etc.

rackyrane

Thanks salt! Do you have any of these in your tank? Are you glad you have it or would you change it if you could?

who dey

Originally Posted by saltn00b
the scolomias are not brains, they are a different type of LPS. also called, Modern Coral, Meat Coral, Donut Coral. very pretty and different. not a brain.
the easiest brains are the Open Brain corals, then after that, the closed brains like the pineapple, favites, maze, etc.
so set me straight?? I've had 3 peeps on here tell me this is a cyn... and i was under the assumption it was a meat??

catawaba

I believe cynarina's have a 'toothed' skeleton, whereas the scoly's are flattened.
Personally, I like the big juicy open brains myself.

who dey

Originally Posted by Catawaba
I believe cynarina's have a 'toothed' skeleton, whereas the scoly's are flattened.
Personally, I like the big juicy open brains myself.

so which is mine?? it's big and juicy, possibly toothed and sometimes flattened? Depends on the mood :notsure:

catawaba

nope.
did you look at the photos on here in the coral section? To me, the glass goblet (listed as brain) is a true cynarina......it has 'protruding' teeth like a bubble coral.
Scolys are more flattened in general--with regard to their skeleton.
Look at the green goblet (listed as brain) here....and is what I think your photos show.
I have the juicy green closed brain. It is at least the size of a softball when expanded, but shrinks down to a slimy skeleton when disturbed.....The base is perfectly round, but the skeleton protrudes upward in a wave like fashion.
Sorry, I don't have a photo.
I don't know if that helps, but there it is.

who dey

nope.
did you look at the photos on here in the coral section? To me, the glass goblet (listed as brain) is a true cynarina......it has 'protruding' teeth like a bubble coral.
Scolys are more flattened in general--with regard to their skeleton.
Look at the green goblet (listed as brain) here....and is what I think your photos show.
I have the juicy green closed brain. It is at least the size of a softball when expanded, but shrinks down to a slimy skeleton when disturbed.....The base is perfectly round, but the skeleton protrudes upward in a wave like fashion.
Sorry, I don't have a photo.
I don't know if that helps, but there it is.
thanks i'll check it out

catawaba

Well, I think the one photo is mislabeled on here....(they're both labeled as cynarinas) even though they are distinctly different.
I think you have a donut/meat/modern Scoly.
Nuts!
It's gorgeous no matter what the heck it is!

who dey

Well, I think the one photo is mislabeled on here....(they're both labeled as cynarinas) even though they are distinctly different.
I think you have a donut/meat/modern Scoly.
Nuts!
It's gorgeous no matter what the heck it is!

thanx cata

who dey

And so is your favites!
Two brains are better than one!

so true. All the wine i've slugged on tonight makes me feel like i have neither!!!

saltn00b

i agree with catawaba, its hard to tell and they are confusing to me. plus, i have not owned either types yet so i havent particularly studied the different species, but from what i have seen so far, that is a good way to seperate the two.

rackyrane

Does anyone have a pink/red cynarina? Are they as cool as they look? I would like to get one, but they are $99 on most sites. I want to know what others experiences are before buying one.