brain coral question

i posted this in the LPS forum but no one responded :(
i have a brain coral that soft tissue is tearing off the skeleton, the soft tissue opens up fine when the lights are on just as normal but when current hits it nearly breaks off what little grip it has on the base, i currently have a fishnet over it to keep it in place, my question is is there anyway to reattach the soft tissue or what other choices do i have?
thanks a lot

d-man

some one saved a brain by putting it in a clear tub (with holes in it for flow) and feeding it shrimp daily (just a little) the tub (or what ever) is to let the brain eat without your fish taking the food and will keep the strong current off it, I tried it but the brain that I tried it on was too far gone and did not have a mouth and it did not work but good luck a few questions do you know why it's like that? how long has it been that way? what's the water flow on it like?is that rubber bands on it?

Originally Posted by d-man
http:///forum/post/3028819
some one saved a brain by putting it in a clear tub (with holes in it for flow) and feeding it shrimp daily (just a little) the tub (or what ever) is to let the brain eat without your fish taking the food and will keep the strong current off it, I tried it but the brain that I tried it on was too far gone and did not have a mouth and it did not work but good luck a few questions do you know why it's like that? how long has it been that way? what's the water flow on it like?is that rubber bands on it?
i do not know why it started coming undone from its base, its been like that for a month or so, the flow is minimal and yes those are rubber bands to keep the netting attached.

d-man

I would put it in a tub and take the netting off but thats just what I would do. what are your water #?, lighting? how long have you had it? what else is in the tank? what ever you do try to get it to eat but dont try to the point that your harassing it's hard for me to know the difference but good luck

i currently have to brain in a rubbermaid tub with holes in the lid, the coral is doing great nice and big but has completely detached itself from its base, do brains regrow their bases or will i have to re-attach him?

nycbob

take the netting off. if the tissue flows away, it is either getting too much flow or ur water parameters r not good. what other corals do u hv? what kind of light is it under? the living tissues arent going to attach to the dead base. if conditions r met, it will form a hard base.

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3031824
take the netting off. if the tissue flows away, it is either getting too much flow or ur water parameters r not good. what other corals do u hv? what kind of light is it under? the living tissues arent going to attach to the dead base. if conditions r met, it will form a hard base.
conditions are all on base, nitrates are a tad high at .3 or .4, ph is about 8.3, nothing is way off. other corals only consist of a few leathers, mushroom, zoas and green star polyps, and the lighting is 2x 250w HQI 20k MH (overkill i know) but i know a big part of why the coral became this way was because of a minor crash several months ago, but he seems to be fine now, expanding when the lights are on and everything, i suppose i just need to find a good place to put him without much flow.

nycbob

try to surround the tissue with rocks around it so it doesnt float away. i would leave on the sandbed.

jbird0420

If your water is good and the coral is eating. The chances of survival are much greater. They love to feed when the lights are out. I feed all mine about 4hrs b4 the lights come on. If you have critters that will steal his food, use the plastic container with holes. Whatever works for you and the coral. Good Luck!

I went through kind of the same thing 4 months ago.

reptij

How long does it usually take for them to regenerate a base providing proper parameters are met? I have the same problem with mine right now after I had a minor crash a few weeks ago.