Brain Dead?

anadliv

How do you tell if a brain coral is dead? It still has its color, its a green open brain. I think it might be dead becuase it doesnt inflate anymore, its probably been 3 months since it inflated. Its mouth also looks kind of empty. If it is dead should i leave in and let decompose and leave skeleton or should i remove it now and not let decompose?

bigarn

Is there a lot of skeleton showing? Does it still eat? If it is dead you'll want to get it out.

T

tizzo

"Does it still eat" is a good question, but a better one is...
Do you feed it? and is so, what?

bigarn

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2495547
"Does it still eat" is a good question, but a better one is...
Do you feed it? and is so, what?
Well excuuuuuse me! ..... miss better question.
Just kidding Tizz .... good point.

nycbob

is it still green? is it only the skeleton? if yes, then its dead. brain corals do need good light and flow to survive.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by bigarn
http:///forum/post/2495551
Well excuuuuuse me! ..... miss better question.
Just kidding Tizz .... good point.

No, no it wasn't like that, but rather a guy up the road from me says, "all corals need is light and proper calcium levels, they don't need anything else."
And you could kinda tell real quick there was no point in trying to "educate" the guy, but I wonder how many people really think that about their LPS's.

BUt on a side note...my question WAS a little better.
J/K!!!

anadliv

it is still green and not showing any skeleton. No it does not feed anymore. I use to spot feed cyclopeez and it would catch food with its tenacles, maybe i wasnt feeding it enough. It doesnt seem to respond to spot feeding at all now. It kind of looks like there is a whole that is open where one of the mouths use to be and it looks empty but no skelton showing?

topfins-mj

I love brains and I have had two so far. I experimented with the first one too much, then it died. so my new brain is doing fantastic.
I did learn the following so hopefully this insight helps.
When I turn off my lunar lights at night, it takes just about 10 minutes for the brain to start opening up and releasing its tentacles. At this point it allows you to spot feed it more efficiently. I do this three times a week, and I spray it with cyclopeeze, along with my home made food (Clams, squid, shrimp,) and allow some small but big enough chunks of food to rest on top of it. I started being extra cautious that my hermits or shrimps did not go over and steal the food. Now I just do it and forget about it.
So the key here was that I turned off the lights to allow to look for food, then I fed it.
If it does not react to your lights, it may be dying. Take it out for inspection.

98lude

my brain was receeding and i took it and placed it in a little clean dish with the top off. i then secured the dish near the top of the water using fishing line so its easy to feed and getting more light.... it has grown back rapidly