Brass on RO unit

melbournefl

Hello all, quick opinions needed here. I just installed my RO unit in my tank stand and am a little concerned that the supplied fittings from the unit are brass. Since the lines will only carry RO water, no saltwater exposure, I'm not scared to death but I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts.
Thanks,
Paul

melbournefl

LOL Nolo, okay it's a deal! But Nolo, you misunderstand, the brass fittings are *after* the RO unit, one brass tee fitting going into the holding tank (stainless steel) and one from the output line to the faucet. I think I'm going on a search for replacement fittings made of nylon *sigh* just another little delay.
Later,
Paul

surfnturf

Like nolo said I would replace those soon, the water leaving the RO unit is very corrosive since it is very pure, it will dissolve things like brass at a much higher rate than tap water. Brass contains copper and lead (and other metals) and you definitely don't want that in the tank. If it were me, I wouldn't even use it until you get the new fittings, JMO

melbournefl

Thanks guys! I suspected this might be the concensus here. The good news is that the tank is still in the construction phase so there aren't any critters in jeopardy because of this, the bad news is I'm still not able to find the tee fitting for the storage tank. I'm sure I'll be able to jury-rig something or another, after all I did go to college in Mexico, the home of "bubblegum & bailing wire" fix-it techniques! Anyway thanks again all and I'll continue my search.
Later,
Paul

javatech

my home depot has all of the fittings for that they are the same that you use for putting in an icemaker

surfnturf

Nolo, I would say don't worry about the brass fitting on the input side, think about the miles of unknown material of pipe that the water passed through on the way to your house, then at least 20-30 feet of copper pipe inside your house. The important thing is not to allow the corrosive RO/DI water to contact anything metallic once it leaves the membrane.