Breeding Cardinalfish

bp

I really want to breed the Baggi(sp) Cardinalfish. Does anyone know how to breed them? Any info is needed.

a_diglio

you might want to stop and ask your LFS. they might have more imformation for you.. Y do you want to breed them? Breeding some fish can get pricey.. Do you just want something o do>

bp

My LFS know nothing about breeding fish. The reason i want to breed them is because I think it would be neat, give me something to do and a way to get some free fish lol. The reason I picked banggi cardnilfish is because the male cares for the eggs and the fry will accept baby brine shrimp as soon as they are born so they seem easer that most marine fish

bp

Does anyone know how to entice them to breed, and how to --- them?:notsure:

cincyreefer

They can only be sexed when they are adults, and even then its not always 100% accurate. Typically the males will have more of a "box" head and will have a long second dorsal fin that will extend back to the caudal fin. You will need to raise live brine shrimp for the babies and rotifers fed by greenwater wouldn't be a bad idea either.

cincyreefer

Getting the male to brood eggs in his mouth isn't that difficult... Same way as getting clownfish to lay eggs isn't all that difficult. It's just raising the fry and giving them a correct diet to live a long and happy life.

bang guy

I really need to write a book :D
Dr. Frank Marini is a member of the board and probably one of the most knowledgable.
I have raised a thousand or so and that gave me a lot of practicle experience.
Here's an article I wrote about Banggai to get you started. ---> Banggai
I assume this is a long term project for you so I'll get you started.
Bang

bang guy

Baby Brine will keep them alive but they are deficient in fatty acids. As a result Banggai raised on Brine Shrimp have a risk of "Sudden Death Syndrome" if they are frightened for any reason.
I feed mine Frozen Prawn Eggs, live Copepods, live Cleaner Shrimp Larvae, and the recent addition of frozen Cyclop-eeze.
When they get large enough I begin to feed them minced scallops, squid & Salmon fat soaked in Cod Liver Oil.