Brine shrimp question...

jeff33436

Hi all-
My 55 gal. finally cycled and I got 2 false perc. clowns and LOVE them! Also got a skunk cleaner shrimp and LOVE him too! Experimenting with food and got some live brine. I used a turkey baster and shot what I thought was a small amount in the tank. To my surprise, there were about 100 brines in that squirt! The clowns went wild and ate most of them and the skunk went even crazier chasing them down. I thought they would all burst by the time they finished. So- is there such a thing as over-feeding with brine? Also, I have a ton left over- how do I keep it for a few days? THANKS ALL!

superman

Yes you can definitely over feed. And even if the fish stop eating, any dead food left from that feeding needs to be removed because it will raise you amonia levels. As for the leftovers just keep them in a container if they die they will still make a good meal for the fish.

jakob4001

you should not use brine as primary food source though...they are not high in nuttitional value unless treated chemically in some way w/ maby zoe or zoecon or something like that...it is best to "serve them fresh"...you can always hatch more as needed...some LFS hatch them & sell cheap

when i introduce a new fish to a tank.. i buy a dollars worth of live brine shrimp(which is alot of shrimp).. and feed that to them for a couple days..then switch to frozen..

Some say live brine have no nutritional value, and they do have to be kept in the fridge. I have stopped using live brine and just use frozen brine.