Bristle worm/Pod ratio???

landlocked

Anyone out there with FOWLR + BioBalls + cc base???
In reviewing the boards, it looks like I have a couple of questions that are obscure (if not, please redirect me!)
[parameters are stable and tank has been up since Jan 2003]
I have 45 pounds of live rock, bio-balls (yes, I know but they are in a sealed sump and I haven't had nitrates or nitrites in over a year and a half). I have a new overgrowth of bristle worms in my 1 inch cc substrate. It also seems like my pod population has dropped at the same time and I have had to start hand feeding my dragonet frozen food. He is reluctantly starting to take it, but still pretty thin compared to 2 months ago.
I have ordered some ocean pods to help add some food for him (sold to me as a scooter blenny, but he's not-he looks exactly like the Scott Michael picture of stellate dragonet) but am trying to figure out what changed the balance. I have been told to not add any more live rock. I don't want to change to sand and don't aspire to any corals, etc. and don't have/plan a refugium or adding any plants.
Do I: 1) Pull out more than just the big bristle worms? I don't think that they are eating the pods, maybe squeezing them out?
2) Make things worse by aggressively vacuuming the coral? I have read about nitrate spikes with vacuuming, but it seems to be with sand beds not coral.
3) Cut way back on food to decrease the worm population (if they are indeed getting squeezed out)? I would hate doing this because of how skinny the dragonet has gotten and everyone else is apparently healthy.
4) Add a wrasse to eat the worms?
Thanks in advance to anyone for your thoughts. I like my very average very peaceful community tank and want to keep it slightly boring but happy!

jeffxsohn

i had too many bristle worms so i got a coral banded shrimp
i guess he's eating them because i don't see them too often anymore
before i had so many i could see like 10 just by glancing at my tank
soo.... i got chopsticks and picked em out hahaha

dmc888

I heard arrow crabs will work too.
Why not let something feast on them and sit back and watch.
Thats what i plan to do if it happens to me.

landlocked

Thought about the arrow crab or shrimp, but I also already have a chocolate chip starfish and don't know if that would work.
I have so many worms that I can't see the substrate anymore in the front 1/2" of glass-it's solid with worms. I would vacuum, but still am afraid I am reducing our pod population too much also.
Does anyone know if the worms eat the pods?

drummerbum

i've seen them eat pods (and one even tried to eat a snail) in my tank, the tank i have the bristle worms is fairly new, done cycling but still no fish but does anyone know if 10g is too small for a cbs or will a pepermint or cleaner shrimp eat them
thanx
:happyfish

gurgle

You could also try a six line wrasse. Since I got one my bristle worms have greatly decreased. And I know this is not normal, but my mandarin also eats the small ones. :yes: :happyfish

coastie55g

stupid question but my tank has been set up for a year now and i have not seen any bristle worms at all... well along the glass.. this ok? should i be worried any? all i have a problem with is them anenomoes that spread like wild fire.

g-dude

So far these are your suggestions:
1) Coral Banded Shrimp
2) Six Line Wrasse
3) Arrow Crab
I would go with your vacume idea and suck up most of the bristal worms. Using a bucket, a vacume hose and a strainer. Just run the water through the strainer capturing the bristal worms until the bucket is full. After the bucket is filled pour it back into your tank. Repeat until satisfied. like that you still keep your pods.
Just an Idea:)

bdhough

Addressing your low pod population. Its because of your dragonette. All they do is eat pods. The amount of rock you have is not enough to sustain a dragonette for long periods of time. You need to have twice the rock you have matured for a year to sustain a dragonette. Sooooo Try and find a new home for yours or get him to eat other things....

g-dude

So far these are your suggestions:
1) Coral Banded Shrimp
2) Six Line Wrasse
3) Arrow Crab
I would go with your vacume idea and suck up most of the bristal worms. Using a bucket, a vacume hose and a strainer. Just run the water through the strainer capturing the bristal worms until the bucket is full. After the bucket is filled pour it back into your tank. Repeat until satisfied. like that you still keep your pods.
Just an Idea:)