Bristle Worms!!!

scottbert

Ok, I just notice a little problem in my tank, i saw not 1, but 2 bristle worms!!
I have heard that these guys are pretty big pests, so, how do I get rid of them? and how did they get there in the first place?
Scott

sepulatian

Originally Posted by scottbert
Ok, I just notice a little problem in my tank, i saw not 1, but 2 bristle worms!!
I have heard that these guys are pretty big pests, so, how do I get rid of them? and how did they get there in the first place?
Scott
Bristle worms are not a pest, they will burrow in your sand and keep it stirred. They are beneficial, no need to get rid of them.

1journeyman

They are a great addition to your clean up crew. They can grow large, but just think what they must be eating to grow...
There is one particular species that preys upon corals, and a few species that can deliver a painful irritant if you touch them (fireworms).
All in all, great, quite-misunderstood scavengers.

dan83

i have a ton of red/black bristle worms which live in my crushed coral substrate and porous live rock. want to trade anything for some (something small)? i have mushrooms and small anemones in my tank and they have never bothered them, but as soon as something dies, ie snail, they instantly eat it. quite helpful in my opinion.

T

tizzo

Scott
Well...5 for 5... They are beneficial. Ugly, but beneficial.
Oh and you most likely have WAY more than 2...

dmjordan

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Well...5 for 5... They are beneficial. Ugly, but beneficial.
Oh and you most likely have WAY more than 2...

i agree. i saw one in my tank one time and thought that was it. now every time i move my magfloat there wil be like 6 very small ones on it (inside the scubby velcro part)

reefpro

Scott
IMHO bristleworms are not a big problem. However you have to keep their population in check. I would add an arrow crab to let him feast on them to keep the population under control. They can very easily make a tank look horrible if left unchecked but they really do not HURT anything unless they are fireworms and you touch them :)

gritchie2

thanks, i think they look cool, my tank has been going for just over two years, i have none that i konw of, i think i would welcome them, not if they would sting me though.

scottbert

well i guess i wont worry about them then!! how do i know if they are a fireworm though?? and will they actually attack? Or do I have to touch them?

nick76

well i guess i wont worry about them then!! how do i know if they are a fireworm though?? and will they actually attack? Or do I have to touch them?
Do yourself a favor and dont touch it lol. It will sting you and it will Hurt!

lesleybird

They say that six line wrasses eat them, I bet other wrasses eat them also. I have also seen some peppermint shrimp eating small ones too....I would think that the cleaner shrimp might eat them also. I used to have a problem with them but since I have added the six line and shrimp and crabs.....they are a rare site in my tank. I remember when I used to see some really hudge bristle worms many inches long but have not seen many in years. Lesley