bristle worms

juniper

I have some bristle worms in my tank. some say it's ok and some say to get rid of them. Personally I'd like to at least reduce the number in my tank. I do regular water changes and have tried trapem. Any suggestions on how to get rid of a lot of them?

twoods71

If you have any LR and if there is a nice size piece on the bottom that is easy to get to then take that peice out and I bet there will be many clinging on to the rock for life.
I have used this method before and it worked out OK for me.

juniper

I have a coral banded shrimp, he doesn't do anything but hang out in the back and eat at feeding time. I've never seen him eat a bristle worm, not even at night. Maybe he doesn't know what he is suposed to do(ha-ha). Thanks for the suggestion.

smackdad

found 1 today and i got him out i'm new but don't like them heard good but more bad so i got him out.

I don't understand why everybody thinks the need to get rid of them!
Can somebody tell me what they have actually seen them do that is so bad.
I have a bunch and there is no way I could get rid of them but I have all of this stuff in my tank and they don't harm anything.
I also have a coral banded and I always see him munching on the bristle worms (only at night).
I am not saying I don't believe that they can be bad I just would like to here what you have seen them do.

juniper

I had 3 of them in my tank and they were 6"to9" long. And my goodness were they big and furry and gross! Anyway I have watched them at night eating my anemones and corals. I lost a beautiful long tenticle because of the biggest worm that lived in the center/bottom of my tank. I tried to catch it many times in the tank but always failed. He was too quick. That's just too big to be in a 55 gallon tank. I must have gotten some really bad live rock.