Bristle Worms

deon nyc

Hi my name is Deon. I have been shopping with saltwaterfish.com for the past year and all their products is great. my problem is i found 2 bristle worms in my tank tonight and i cant get them out they are about 1/2 in long. i cant grab them with any tools and they dont leave the saftey of their home(the hole in the rocks) what do i do i dont know where to start. please help me.

meowzer

First...welcome to the boards, and I totally agree about SWF and their excellent stuff
2nd...bristleworms are not bad...they are good to have...they are a part of your clean up crew..they eat detrius and other waste
just do not touch them...they will sting you
SOOOOO leave em be...:)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you're lucky, you will have a lot more then just 2. They are a vital part of the live rock and sandbed ecosystem, so don't try to de-populate them.

cherylann

I have a worm in my tank thats over seven inchs long. I actually took him out, but after a few days I put him back in, have never had any problems with worms. If you find them eating a dead tank inhabitant, it was already dead and their just cleaning up for you. I have yet in 20 years to loose an animal to a bristle worm. So rest easy.

cranberry

I do remove the large ones when I see them out far enough. I don't go after them, but if they are right there for the plucking... out they come. I mean those big ole blue and the psychedelic ones.