Bristle worms

silverado61

I know there are critters out there that eat bristle worms but does anyone know of an invert that will eat them but NOT go after corals?

pegasus

Coral Banded Shrimp. Might not play well with smaller shrimp, but won't bother fish, corals, or other inverts.

Arrow crab.

silverado61

I think Arrow Crabs are notorious for eating coral and I've got two Peppermint Shrimp so the Coral Banded is out too. :(

I'd have to verify the Arrow Crab first.

jay0705

Arrows will eat them. Its 50/50 it seems w coral. If well fed you have a better chance, but still no guarantee

bang guy

A Horse Conch will eat them but they'll eat all of your snails too. Coral safe though.

Have you considered getting another animal that will compete for food with the Bristle worms and reduce their population that way? Cerith Snails for example.

silverado61

I've got close to 30 cerith's and over 50 nassarious. I haven't plague proportions yet but I thought I'd research this before it did.
Arrow Crabs also eat featherdusters and I've got them on my "Want to have" list along with a T. Squamosa. Which means I also have to research phytoplankton production.

pegasus

Bristle worm population is dependent on the amount of nutrients available. While you may not get rid of them completely, adding to your CUC and reduced feedings will keep them in check... and possibly reduce their numbers. As long as they aren't epidemic, I wouldn't worry about them. Just my opinion...

silverado61

Cuc? (Laughing to myself) I have almost 150 cuc members. Not including the worms of course and I have about 30 of those. I'm just researching how to reduce them if I ever need to.

pegasus

Cuc? (Laughing to myself) I have almost 150 cuc members. Not including the worms of course and I have about 30 of those. I'm just researching how to reduce them if I ever need to.
Hmm... if worse comes to worse, there's always bristle worm traps. A lot of monitoring involved, but a lots of folks say they work. I've seen postings of shrimp in nylon stockings working pretty good, as the worms get tangled in the nylon. Not sure how you'd get them out, so that could be a problem in itself. Not sure the Mrs. would like you throwing away all of her hose. Of course, if you used your own... lol!!!

silverado61

Hmm... if worse comes to worse, there's always bristle worm traps. A lot of monitoring involved, but a lots of folks say they work. I've seen postings of shrimp in nylon stockings working pretty good, as the worms get tangled in the nylon. Not sure how you'd get them out, so that could be a problem in itself. Not sure the Mrs. would like you throwing away all of her hose. Of course, if you used your own... lol!!!
All of mine have runs in them anyway, :confused:
I've got some clear tubing I was thinking of making into a trap. Cap the ends. Drill some holes. Put some batting in it with a shrimp and see what happens. Worth experimenting with just in case the population explodes and I have to act fast.

pegasus

All of mine have runs in them anyway, :confused:
I've got some clear tubing I was thinking of making into a trap. Cap the ends. Drill some holes. Put some batting in it with a shrimp and see what happens. Worth experimenting with just in case the population explodes and I have to act fast.
Mine, too! LOL!!!

That should work. It wouldn't hurt to experiment with it to see how it performs. It would be great if you had tapered caps, maybe even some of those tube thingies the doctor uses to look in your nose and ears, and could put the tapered end pointed in... kind of like a fish trap. Pretty sure the batting would make it difficult for them to find their way out. Good thinking!

bang guy

My thought on the possible population explosion.

These worms are generally limited by food and predators. You have no predators at the moment, or not many, so they are food limited in your tank.

Let's say the population suddenly triples. This means that the food source has tripled, right?

OK, now we remove 3/4ths of these worms to artificially reduce the population (the food wrapped in nylon works very well). Great, now we are back to about the previous population.

What happens to all of that food the worms were taking care of for you?

silverado61

So as long as I don't increase the amount I feed the population should remain about the same. Good thought.
As far as the trap? I'd rather have a remedy and not need it than need it and not have it.
You could call me an aqua prepper.