bristleworm

linda tavares

Are bristleworms harmful to reef tanks, and is there any way of getting ride of them. We are about to upgrade our tank, and are unsure if we sould put our live rock in the tank because they are covered with these worms in all different sizes. HELP PLEASE

small reef

A few bristleworms won't really hurt a tank, but if your rock is covered with them, then I would try to get rid of most of them. They can cause damage to corals and also produce a foul odor if left unchecked/

flamingkingofhe

the way i always get ride of them is to
1 take a piece of pantyhose and wrap it around a brine shrimp cube and tie the ends of the hose in nots so the shrimp stays in side
2 place the trap in the tank near the worms and shut off the lights ( as far as i know they only come out of hiding at night)
if you want you can take a flashlight and wrap red saran wrap around it and turn it on to see the bristle worms at night
3 take the trap out of the tank after you have caught the worms
also you can add certain wrasses to the tank there are certain ones who will eat bristleworms
this trap works because the hairs on the worm get stuck in the small holes in the hose
caution! when removing the trap and worms never touch the worms with your bare hands

nerdy

I've had bristle worms before and I picked them out one by one with tweasers. The above way seems easier. I am curious as to why you can't touch them!!!!!!???????????

small reef

Some species of bristleworms have very sharp spines covered with toxins. IF your skin comes in contact with one, you can get a painful infection.

jbfastlane

I can't guarantee this is the best procedure, but I have been looking for a suspected Mantis Shrimp in my tank and was told to use the following procedure.
Unfortunately - it didn't get me any Mantis, but I found three large bristle worms.
Mixed a bucket of high salinity water using carbonated water - mine was about 1.040 and then dip each piece of rock for 30 seconds or so.
Sounds weird, but like I said - they leave the rock immediately.
That's it.

janet276

Originally Posted by jbfastlane
Mixed a bucket of high salinity water using carbonated water - mine was about 1.040 and then dip each piece of rock for 30 seconds or so.
Sounds weird, but like I said - they leave the rock immediately.
ok question if i do this dip method will i hurt or kill the colony of star polyps and a mushroom i have on my rock?

clown52

I would not do the dip unless, like he said, you have a Mantis Shrimp.
Bristleworms are generally not bad. They are a great part of your clean up crew.

wangotango

this is a bit late, but i would compare touching a bristleworm with touching fiberglass insulation, the little fibers break off and its very painfull.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by WangoTango
this is a bit late, but i would compare touching a bristleworm with touching fiberglass insulation, the little fibers break off and its very painfull.

Only 3 years and 4 months late

janet276

Originally Posted by Clown52
I would not do the dip unless, like he said, you have a Mantis Shrimp.
Bristleworms are generally not bad. They are a great part of your clean up crew.
but i know i have a bad bristleworm. Would that dip method work with out hurting my star polyps and mushroom?