Brittle star behavior

c_bell

I got my swf.com order in last Tuesday. With my order a got 3 brittle stars and a cucumber and both where out cruising around the tank after they where acclimated, and now I never see them. The hide under the rocks all day long. I have even checked at night and have not seen them out and about. Is the normal behavior for the to hide under the rocks all day??

N

newreefers

mine comes out during the day only to be fed, and then he goes right back into the rock. do you feed yours?

c_bell

Well Its hard there in the 125 gal and under a peice of LR that i cant move. There is 3 of them all under different rocks all i can see is a lil leg sticking out.

whywe

put a little food in there and they should race towards it. mine always used to go crazy when it was feeding time.

S

sinner's girl

i always see my Brittle and serpent. If you put a small piece of uncooked shrimp that should get them out. or other fish foods. our always come running when i feed bloodworms.

c_bell

Maybe after they are more comfortable in the tank they will come more and eat. Like I said they have only been in there a few days

ophiura

Healthy brittlestars do not spend a great deal of time out in the open during the day. If I have one out, they are not far from a crevice. Mostly they only extend and arm or two out, because they are easily regrown should they be bitten off by something.
If your stars were out in the open, I would be very worried. Right now, they are acting perfectly normally.

phil1964

I got 2 tuesday as well. All I ever see is half an arm hanging out.
Ophiura, the red serpent star is looking better. Disk not so sunk in, moving, climbing in the rocks and growing the tips of his arms back. If you care. Thanks for all your help. And I am raising my salinity SLOWLY. But raising it to what?

saltfisher

Get a feeding stick to feed them. I used to have a serpent star and it never came out during the day. When I would shine a flashlight on the tank at night I could see him moving around looking for food.

phil1964

Thanks Articuno
Ophiura said to rais it but I was not sure what to raise it to.I am andding top off water with salt. I was at 1.022 and am now at 1.023 afthe 3 days. All is looking good. Serpent star is on the move in the rocks and growing the tips of his arms back that broke of during shipment. Not taking food yet but is more active plus I got my calcium up to 400. SLooowww going.