Brittle Star Or What?

F

fresnoreef

Can anyone tell me if this is a brittle star, and if it is what kind it is? This brittle star is super small. I took this with my cannon sd200 on macro and it was still very hard to see.

ohioguy06

I would say it looks like a brittle star.......not sure what kind im sure if you wait a while there will be other who would know to chime in and try to help ya.
Rich

nytrillium

how small.... like half the size of a dime?... and yes thats what they are... It sounds like a mini brittle star. do a search for them... Very good for your tank.

nytrillium

Ummmm :notsure: How is that disgusting? You put snails and crabs and fish that crap and pee all over themselves and everything else in your tank.... and you reach in the tank to move stuff around. You may or may not have other starfish that are exactly the same thing as the mini ones except that they are a different species and grow larger.... I dont understand your logic here. These little guys are very benificial for your tank, they are just an addition to your clean up crew and they will reproduce rapidly....
Anyway... congrats to you. I paid shipping for some but most of them died in transit.
I ended up wiht a few. They reproduce by either splitting for one species or simultaneous hermaphordites for the other (Ophiura
). According to what ive read they reproduce readily and very quickly in your aquarium... keep watchinng you may see more soon.