Brittlestar baby

finland

Today I found a baby brittle in my tank. I have had a large brittle in there for over a year, and from what I can tell he is healthy. I only see him after lights out. Did the baby come from the big one, or as a hitchhiker? I haven't added anything in a while. Should I expect more if it did come from the large one?

jonthefb

what color is the baby? my guess is that the baby is actually a mini-star.....cant remember the sci name of them right now, but you usually find them as hitchikers on live rock, or in live sand that has been well established....they are great detritus feeders and reproduce like mad, and usually hang out in the sandbed, near live rock....if you see them at night you will usually see their arms sticking up out of the sand, and possibly a whole adult wanderign around on occasion! good luck
and congrats!
jon

finland

The baby brittle appears to be a carbon copy of the big brittle one except a lighter brown or gray color. The big one is dark brown. I haven't added any ls or lr in over a year, and this is the first I have seen of the little one. I suppose it is possible for it to remain hidden in all the lr for over a year. The baby one is about an inch across tip to tip.