Broke the Rules!

heithingi

Hi everyone,
OK, I did one of those newbie things today! My 120 just cycled about a week and a half ago, and of course I had to go to the LFS to get more salt, like to keep a bunch on hand to be safe. Plus, my trochus snails came in. Anyway, that little Niger Trigger was still there...just a beautiful fish! Very mellow, nice to his tankmates. I brought him home, PLUS a snowflake eel! Just a tiny little guy, even my son liked him.
I introduced them both to the tank very slowly, and all of the fish are getting along great! Well, the checkerboard wrasse went to bed under the sand as I turned the lights off, but the marine betta did not have one problem with the niger. I also brought another peice of live rock for him, which he promptly adopted as his own.
:)
After a few hours, I turned on the lights so I could fed them, and the niger ate like a PIG. Never seen anything like that! He eats even more than the damsels! The little eel would not eat, even when we put food right in front of his face. I hope he is ok! He is being active, checking out the different holes in the rocks, just did not seem to interested in food. I tried krill tonight, maybe I will try squid tomorrow.
My other two fish, the pinktail trigger and puffer will not be in for a few more days, most likely a week. I hope! Even I have not added fish this fast before. Even though I know I should not have added the niger yet, I cannot say I am unhappy about it, he is a very cool fish!
Lynda

thats not bad at all...the niger will keep to himself and the eel wont even take up space because he will be in the liverock all the time. i think my niger has a problem, well i think he was nibbled on by my undulated (which i just sold, so i could get the puffer)maybe it could be fin rot, i dunno, hope not. he is getting big about 3 and half inches now, but the clown is still my favorite.
[ April 22, 2001: Message edited by: dlight692000 ]

heithingi

Hi!
Thanks for the responses! CheLives, do LFS usually feed live food? I did ask about that and they said no, they fed shrimp. My first thought was maybe he was not hungry because eels do not eat daily? I am not so sure he could even eat a live fish...he is really very tiny, MAYBE 6-7 inches, total. We used tongs to try to feed him, our tank is deep, 30 inches, and on a stand, so that was fun to try. Will give it another go tomorrow. He was in with a bunch of other baby eels, browns, white mouth, banded....plus some BIG dottybacks and tangs.
Dlight, I hope your niger is ok! They are such very pretty fish, aren't they? I am still, on one hand, mad at myself for adding too many fish at once, but on the other, really happy I decided to get him.
I think I will be doing some daily tank testing for awhile, especially with two more fish coming in. I really like this aggressive setup, these guys are so much fun to watch! Thanks to all for your help!
Lynda

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Well, lets see here. The eel won't eat. Sounds pretty normal to me. It takes all new fish a little time to readily accept food. Eels can go about 5 or 6 days(probably more) without eating. They must adjust to their new surrounding like all fish do. If it doesn't eat in the next couple of days then give it a feeder or 2.

pufferlover

Try to avoid the live if you can. If your store said they didn't feed it live I would believe them they had no reason to bs you, you already had the eel. I find my new eels started off the best on frozen krill and/or frozen small silversides. I realize many feed live and enjoy doing so but unless you want that extra resonsibity of going and getting or storing live I would not start with it.

heithingi

Hi,
Thanks all for the suggestions. I am pretty much against the idea of live food, so am going to hold out with the frozen. The eel apparently knows about mysid shrimp, went crazy today when I fed the tank that, although he did not eat any! There were shrimp all around him, he was swimming around like crazy, did not even take a bite. Confused. Anyway, thanks again!
Lynda

dgs174

eels are pretty blind, and they rely on their sense of smell, mostly, so he was probably smelling it all over the place. give him some time to adapt to the tank, and i assure you he will become a good eater.

badfishy

my eel used to take a really long time to eat. If you can put the food infront of his face and he does not run .. there might be something wrong with him. Doubt it though... the easiest way is take a feeding stick. Put krill on the end of it (two days from now) and put it in the front of the aqurium... wait until he starts to move (he smells it in a minute) he will then try to grab it... move it toward the area.. but never in his face... drag it move it.. they love that.. he will eat as much as you feed him... but try to limit it to 2... and they cannot go weeks without eating. They are simalar to most aggressive fish they eat what they can when they can. Good luck>>>>