Brooklynella Treatment Question

brithor

So my clownfish has brooklynella and I have some formalin to treat and was planning on following the formalin bath instructions that Beth posted. However, I noticed on the treatment instructions that came with the formalin that it had a recommended dosage and treatment plan for treating while in the tank as opposed to a "bath". Basically said 2 drops per gallon every other day until it clears, then wait 10 days and treat again with a 25% water change after each round of treatments.
I have a 10 gallon quarantine so I was wondering if I could just go ahead and treat in that so I woudnt have to move the fish back and forth for its "baths". Anyone treated in a QT with success or should I just stick to the prescribed bath method?
Thanks

sepulatian

Follow Beth's instructions for the dip. I know that they are different than what is on the bottle. Trust us.

blueangelc

IMO, Formalin is toxic so dosing it right in the QT would pose risks to your fish while he is recovering from the bath (unless you have a second QT or prepare to have him back in the DT after bath). Not sure if I would recommend the second option since it may be difficult and/or more stressful to catch & treat him again. Depending on his condition, he may need more than one bath...
I would recommend monitoring the clown closely during the bath. From my experience, the trick is to have the right dosage while treating with Formalin. You need it strong enough to kill the parasites but not too strong which causes damage to the host. On the other hand, a dose too weak may extend the duration of the treatment and considering how fast Brooklynella moves, it is also 'risky' depending on your fish condition, imo.
While bathing, the fish may dart around a little but if he starts having difficulty with breathing (sink to the bottom, laying on his side etc...), remove him asap and put him in the QT (make sure the condition of the QT is 'hospitable' beforehand) until his next bath.
You should start seeing a thick white mucus (almost like a cocoon) peeling off his body. That should indicate the treatment is effective. Good luck with the treatment.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by BlueAngelC
http:///forum/post/2574822
IMO, Formalin is toxic so dosing it right in the QT would pose risks to your fish while he is recovering from the bath (unless you have a second QT or prepare to have him back in the DT after bath). Not sure if I would recommend the second option since it may be difficult and/or more stressful to catch & treat him again. Depending on his condition, he may need more than one bath...
I would recommend monitoring the clown closely during the bath. From my experience, the trick is to have the right dosage while treating with Formalin. You need it strong enough to kill the parasites but not too strong which causes damage to the host. On the other hand, a dose too weak may extend the duration of the treatment and considering how fast Brooklynella moves, it is also 'risky' depending on your fish condition, imo.
While bathing, the fish may dart around a little but if he starts having difficulty with breathing (sink to the bottom, laying on his side etc...), remove him asap and put him in the QT (make sure the condition of the QT is 'hospitable' beforehand) until his next bath.
You should start seeing a thick white mucus (almost like a cocoon) peeling off his body. That should indicate the treatment is effective. Good luck with the treatment.

Very nice and detailed post of this treatment and what happens during it