Brown Algae(Diatoms?) On sand bed...

azonic

My tank has been running for close to 5 months now. During the cycle I had the usual diatom bloom for a week or two and it went away.
I added MH lighting over the tank a little over a month ago and since then I'm getting a lot of brown algae growing on the sand bed.
I'm assuming the algae is being causes by the lights.
I'm looking for some critters that can help clean it up a bit. I've currently got a 4" fighting conch in there and he does what he can but he can only do so much of a 110 gallon tank. :D Plus, by the time he gets a bit done, it's after growing again. :rolleyes:
Are there any snails or crabs or fish that can help me? I don't want any fish that will eat the bugs outta the sand bed either...
TIA.

aly

i have had a lot of algea problems and the best invert out of any to handle them were mexican turbo snails. they are much larger than the regular sized turbo and have an incredible appitite. they are about $2 per snail. put about 15 in there and watch your tank clean out in about a week and a half. it really is amazing what they can eat. good luck!
-aly

dacia

How many of these snails would you recommend for a 30 gallon tank? Would it be wise or unwise to buy a group of 5 nassarius snails with them?
I'll soon be buying some snails from this website, and I had already planned on getting the nassarius snails until I heard so many good things about trochus snails. :D