Brown Algae with RO Filter

craig110768

Hi
I have been using my own home-made RO water for the past 8 months. Last month however, I noticed that brown algae was starting to appear in the tank. So obviously I need to change the RO filter producing the water.
Which filter would be necessary, as its a 5 stage ro/di ?
I don't want to replace all 5 at once if its not necessary.
Craig

reefnut

This is general but...
Stage one Sediment Filter every 6-12 months
Stage two Carbon Block Filter every 6-12 months
Stage three Carbon Block Filter every 9-12 months
Stage four RO membrane every 2-6 years
DI Cartridge every 700-1000g
HTH

beaslbob

Originally posted by Craig110768
Hi
I have been using my own home-made RO water for the past 8 months. Last month however, I noticed that brown algae was starting to appear in the tank. So obviously I need to change the RO filter producing the water.
Craig

Craig: It is not obvious to me that Ro is necessary to eliminate brown algae. Brown algae is feeds more on phosphates (and silicates) than green algae which relies more on the ammonia/nitrite/nitrAtes. And it does seem logical that removing phosphates from water would help.
It has been my experience that in the first month of setup algaes will go from brown to green as phosphates are consumed. Plant life in some form is needed in a saltwater tank. The only question is whether that plant life looks good or not. I recommend you try macro algae/plants to consume the same nutrients as the "ugly" algaes. That with a cleaner crew that eats the ugly algaes will almost totally eliminate the "ugly" algaes. And the tank will be cleaner, the nitrogen cycle completed, more balanced, and stabilized.