Brown Algae

blender

I've had my 55 gallon up and running since october. The algae that grows in there is red and brown. I get a spot of green on a shell here and there but that is it. Is this bad? What is the deal? I thought green algea grows instead of brown after a month or two.

krazzydart

depending on what you all have running in your tank, what equipment you have , temp ,PH, live rock, live sand.... all this stuff location of tank , even type of salt you use and the water too !!! nEED MORE INFO ON ALLLLLLL THISSSSS STUFFFFFF !!!!!

blender

I have two powerheads for the UGF and a 200 aquaclear power filter. I have crushed coral with no live rock. Temp is a little high at 80 (I've been trying to get it down to 78 but that is another story). ph is 8.0 I think. I always use instant ocean. I have the light on for about 10 hours a day and the tank is in the living room where I shut the shades to try to keep the temp down. krazydart I had to LOL when fishgirl didn't appreciate your humor about a trigger eating her tang.

stevi303

I am having the same problem with the Brownish REd stuff can not get rid of it HELP>>>>they told me to get as much out as possible....I did not have a prblem until I changed my light bar....What type of bulbs flourecent??
I have changed the bulb in one of my tanks no algea yet. I am going to try to change the other and see what happens....Let me know what you found out.

clayton

Originally posted by Stevi303:
I am having the same problem with the Brownish REd stuff can not get rid of it HELP>>>>they told me to get as much out as possible....I did not have a prblem until I changed my light bar....What type of bulbs flourecent??
I have changed the bulb in one of my tanks no algea yet. I am going to try to change the other and see what happens....Let me know what you found out.

Steve - what did you change your light bar from and to. Can you give me wattage and spectrums please. I am having a similar problem and eliminated virtualy all the possible causes I can think of, and yet it persists.

otto13

i had the same problem until recently. i have a replaced one of my blubs with a coral light bulb. i purchased some live rock with purples on it and "most importantly" i started using coral vite. this stuff not only gets the live rock growing, it promotes new growth on dead rocks. they brown algae has gone away and now i have purples, greens, blues and reds. it took about 3 to 4 weeks after treating. give it a shot. it is kinda expensive.
otto

stevi303

Otto
can you use the Coral vite whith fish in the tank???
I went from the small light bulbs to Flourecent that is when my problem first started always got Green algea but not the red. The cord and switch went and then I got the flouresent nothing special maybe thats my problem??