Brown alge and cloudy water

jimbo449

:confused:
I have a fairly new tank that has just finished the cycle. Iam getting brown alge over everything in the tank and it is constanly cloudy. I have just added some live rock approximatly 25lbs. about a week ago. I did rinse the rock in salt water before I put it in the tank. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong. Also shoud I be adding calcium for the live rock. Thanks in advance for help that you can offer

beaslbob

Originally posted by jimbo449
:confused:
I have a fairly new tank that has just finished the cycle. Iam getting brown alge over everything in the tank and it is constanly cloudy.

At about the two-three week point it is extremely common to have a brown algae bloom. Brown algaes consume phosphates which probably are high during this initial period. As the phosphates are consumed the brown algae will slowly turn to green. The best way to avoid algae blooms is to add plant life you desire to starve out the undesirable plant life (algaes). I highly recommend you consider adding some plant life to your system.
I have just added some live rock approximatly 25lbs. about a week ago. I did rinse the rock in salt water before I put it in the tank. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong.

Probably did not make much difference
Also shoud I be adding calcium for the live rock. Thanks in advance for help that you can offer

Your live rock will not consume calcium. Generally that is needed for reef tanks which use RO/DI water. I highly recommend you not dose anything without first testing to see if that particular thing is needed. It is very important to let the system run and settle down. If is very common for various parameters to vary but then become acceptable after a few months of running. You could find yourself interrupting that process and chasing parameters with constant additives.
Welcome and hope you enjoy your tank.

T

thomas712

From the sounds of it you have had a diatom bloom or are still going through this. If you have finished your cycle and the ammonia and nitrites are 0 and your nitrates are low then it is time to do a large water change and add a clean up crew.
Your live rock will use the calcium, or rather the coralline algea that grows on the liverock will use the calcium. Your clean up crew will use calcium.
If you are going for a reef tank then you should be testing and watching your alk and cal, and adding it if necessary.
Thomas