Brown Alge?

theonlykc

[hr]
So I've just discovered some brownish alge all over my live rocks and other rocks and I wanted to know if this is bad? or good? Would my tanks still eat it? Will it turn green?
thanks guys!!!

promisetbg

Is this a new tank ? Is it a dusting looking sort of algae..or does it look slimy?
Generally new tanks will go through a stage of diatoms..which looks gold to brown , then that will give way to green algae. Many tanks at the 4-5 month mark go through a cyanobacteria bloom..which is most often red/purplish and slimy.

crox

I had my tank for 5 months and I have all this red/brownish slimy algae on top of some rocks and on the sand. How can I get rid of it?
:help: :help: :help:

promisetbg

Read as much as you can about cyanobacteria. It thrives on nitrates,phosphates and excess nutrients.Usually it likes places of low flow and low oxygen area.If you have the same excess nutrients and have high flow,you will often get hair algae problems.
Manual removal{syphoning}, frequent water changes,keeping bio-load low,cutting back on feeding, and adding a refugium are all ways to fight cyano.
Some people like to use red slime remover..which is basically erythromycin.I am not a fan of such chemicals being added to a reef tank.

crox

Thanx.
i'll try cutting down on feeding and i will also add an extra pump in the tank for the water movement. If I have time I'll do a 10 gallon water change but I don't know when. It's tax season!!!!

granny

UH OH,
Your last sentence may be your problem!! We saltwataer folks cannot put off our water changes. Replenishing minerals, removing 'gunk' best are handled through regular water changes. I actually do 20% a week. If i have to skip a weekend because I am out of town, I dont worry too much, but my tank always sparkles. Of course the skimmer, powerheads, light feeding and daily attention to what ishappening inside all contribute to that. Siphoning, scrubbing items that can safely be removed from the tank and scrubbed clean, skimming, aeration, and if necessary, chemical fixes after all the rest has been done work well.
When my tank was newer, it went through the brown diatom stage, then green hair algae started. I immediately started larger water changes (with distilled water) added another power head, backed off on feeding. removed all 'dead' items from the tank and scrbbued them clean, then added a phosphate sponge which cleared it all up in a matter of days. oh, I also added 15 turbo grazers and some nassarius snails which helped immensley. I dont know what they live on now as there is not a pice of hair algae or brown stuff in sight. I do have several other 'good' plants growing and thriving in there as well.
Good luck-you may need to put in a late night to do that water change!

crox

Well I am not a big fan of water changes. In 5 months that I have my tank I "only" did 2 10 gallon water changes. The last one was right after Xmas. The water parameters are great. All zeros. Go figure that one out. :scared:
But I am planning in getting some corals and I know I had keep the minerals in balance so I have to get use to water changes.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by Crox
. The water parameters are great. All zeros. Go figure that one out. :scared:
Have you tested the tank for Organics? Oxygen? Phosphates?
If cyanobacteria is present,I guarantee there is something amiss.It will not show in a test,because the cyano is consuming it...but it's there.