Brown colored algae in my agressive tank

robbytt

RobbyTT Questions.....
I have since upgraded my lighting in my tank to a 50/50 bulb flor. bulb. Although I'm not sure the bulb is responsible for my extreme algae growth -- I think it might be (my tank is also very new - approx. 1.5 months)
What can I do? :confused: This stuff is fugly. I constantly have to clean off the glass.
TIA

heithingi

Hi,
Are your phosphates high? Also, have you thought about using those giant snails Lionfish has recommended? Somewhere I read that leaving your light on for too long can cause this, too.....just some thoughts.
Lynda

fishguy

If you are using tap water this could be the cause for it is probably high is phosphates (as stated above) , and it is probably high in silicates which can aid in nutrition for the algae. You also have to take into consideration that your tank is fairly new and this could be diatoms growing on your tank and should go away when the tank matures. But in the meantime I think I would use r/o water if you aren't already.HTH
Happy Fish keepin'

lionfish

LionFish says.....
There are a few reasons why you could be experiencing this problem. Number one problem could be lighting. Not necessarily your lighting system but direct or indirect sunlight causes major algea blooms. Also phosphates are a leading cause of small algea growths. Check your phosphates and if they are high do a partial water change. And last but definitely not least it could be brown diatom algea which is a nasty problem. Seeing as it is a new tank most tanks do experience a slight Cyanobacteria algea bloom it will usually go away on its own but in extreme cases you may have to get something to sift the sand.

robbytt

RobbyTT says....
Cool. I forgot to mention I'm using RO/DI water. Also, I have been doing lots of water changes but I guess one more can't hurt. As far as snails, I've found no snails can stand a chance with my Clown Trigger.
Lionfish - What else would you recommend to sift the sand? Keep in mind it must survive the wrath of the clown and snowflake.
Thanks again...you folks are a bank of knowledge.
[ April 17, 2001: Message edited by: RobbyTT ]

lionfish

LionFish says......
Well lets see what I can think of. Ah, the perfect fish comes to mind. What is it you ask? Well, it is one of the coolest fish in the sea, it is large enough to fend for itself and it is extremely colorful. No its not a seahorse. What is it then? Ah, yes it is the awesome Harlequin Tusk. One of the largest and bulkiest wrasses in the world. It can become up to 12 inches long and like most wrasses it enjoys burrowing into the sand at night. It is great fish if you have the space and money. Check it out.

lionfish

LionFish says.....
OK, flame throwers charged. Lock and load. What in Gods name are you doing with that tank of yours. A clown Trigger and a snowflake eel in a 30 gallon tank? Are you freakin mad? Ok must calm down. Memo to self: don't drink 3 cups of high-caffiene coffee before posting. Alright, first off no you cannot have a Harlequin Tusk in that small of a tank. I have mine in a 70 gallon with my Radiata lion. You, know that you have to upgrade like, oh I don't know, SOON. My God man, I thought I was insane with fish but you make me look good. Man, get a bigger tank and then we'll talk about Harlequin Tusks.
Burn Baby Burn!

robbytt

RobbyTT says.....
I'm the frigin BOMB dood! Oh, and there is no charge for making you look good. Hmmm, you have that sucker in a 70g, I'm out the door to my LFS, it's time to stuff the tank. Just kidding of course ;) I do infact do my research and have my own theories for certain fish. I'll enjoy them until they must be givin/sold to another person/lfs but meanwhile they are swEEt to watch. :D
So master, what CAN (in your caffiene crazy eyes) I 'stuff' in...lol No seriously though, this algae sucks!

lionfish

LionFish says...... (copyrighted)
Well, young grasshopper, I am afraid you can't have anything in there to move the sand. Hmmmm...... How 'bout a goby... CHOMP or how 'bout a starfish...... CHOMP..... or you could use your hand...... CHOMP. Oh well, in a tank that small you can't keep any big wrasses and you can't keep anu small sand sifting gobies and you can't keep any inverts. Sorry, grasshopper but it looks like ya gotta do it by hand. I do that quite frequently in my new tanks. Although, I haven't stuck my hand in with a Clown Trigger. Oh, by the way, your infringing upon my copyrighted catchphrase. It costs $20 every time you use it. Cha-ching :D!

robbytt

RobbyTT comments....
I have my hand in there about once a day minimum...I'll just dig a little deeper and sift with hands watching my back I mean hand.

pufferlover

Interesting Lion mentioned that today when I was cleaning my Clown Trigger bit me 3 times first time he has done that.

heithingi

Hi RobbyTT,
OK, I suppose I am going to have to speak my mind here...and I am sure I will get my hands slapped by the moderators, but here goes, anyway.
Why on earth would you have such animals in such a tiny tank in the first place? There has been tons of research done on these animals, plus who knows how many personal accounts of the care and upkeep needed to care for these specific animals. Why are you trying to deliberately go against all this knowledge in order to cram a few fish in such a small tank? They are unhappy, they will be unhappy, and they will most likely either die or kill each other. What is the point? There are many fish you can put in there that would be quite happy...why are you so set on having what is not only unfeasible, but is actually cruel?
You make the comment that you will sell or give them away when they get too big. How do you know you can? I HATE this attitude. We see it all the time in the horse business. People want what is convenient..they do not take into consideration that they are dealing with a living, breathing, and feeling creature. However, if that animal does not work out because they have put unreasonable demands on it, what do they do? Surely not the honorable thing to the animal, oh no. They sell it, sometimes to auction, sometimes worse. So, what will you do with your fish once they become too big? Just sell them, give them away to anyone, flush them, maybe? Again, what is the point? What if no one wants them when the time comes?
Lynda

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Ha, see as a moderator I usually don't speak like Heithingi does even if I want to because some of youu may remember the tad bit aggressive poster that I was. I have calmed my attitude and now make jokes rather than mean posts. But nobody can get me now if stand behind Heithingi and agree completely with what she said. Technically I'm not saying it but I whole-heartedly agree with Heithingi because I am a fish enthusiast and I care about my fish and how they will live in the tank. Rather than have the fish die or become severely cramped in a small tank I buy a large tank and if I feel they need a larger tankj then I don't add more fish but I wait until I have the money to buy a big tank to house them. No offense Robby but I should have said it sooner. You may know about the fish but all you're doing is hurting them. Sorry bud but all you're doing is trying to cramp fish into a way too small tank and then they die. Trust me you won't have the clown for long maybe 4 months more and then it comes to an end.

i agree with you about the space needed for these fish but i totally disagree how you handled the situation and how you probably discouraged robby from the board and made him feel uncomfortable, i know i would. a simple "too many fish for that tank" would have done fine, maybe not grillin him like you did (Heithingi). and i dont know how you compare saltwater aquariums to horses...they are a little bigger , i used to own one and i did sell him through a auction, is that a mean thing? i dont think so. as of the fish situation goes, of course he is going to need a bigger tank, thats all you need to tell him. please just take what i said into thought and maybe Apologize to him

lionfish

LionFish says.....
I understand that it was a bit rough however you can look at this from 2 angles. The first angle is Robbys view. The fish are swimming happily in the tank of 30 gallons. BUT then you have to see it as the fish would see it. That Trigger will see things a bit differently then Robby. The trigger will see more fish in a stuffed 30 gallon tank and he becomes territorial and wipes out the rest of the tank. Not so good from that view. I already made a couple of simple warnings because it will get bad and I know it. However, Heithingi didn't do anything remotely wrong. This board is used to state opinions and thats what she did. No hard feelings were meant to happen. I think Robby knows what will happen so let him do it his way. No reason to be discouraged from the board. I've had much worse treatment before and I still keep coming.

robbytt

No hard feelings guys. First off, I don't know where you got the idea of me 'stuffing' my tank. I provide TLC for a 3" clown trigger and a 16" snowflake eel. There is a 4 stripe in the tank from the cycle process and he will go back to my LFS soon. Also, I will probably be adding a racoon butterfly to take care of my rock anemoe problem but then, he too will go back.
Also - I'm probably in the top percent of people that do fish tanks right. I will not stop until I can provide them the home they need or find a suitable home. I know plenty of people with fish tanks that kill fish because they don't even understand the basics - water quality, overfeeding. Think off all the people (you probably know some) that dive into the hobby without reseach and KILL there first couple batches of fish. I've been careing for freshwater fish for over 7 years and I've lost only THREE fish. In fact, I brough more fish into this world than I've taken out because on one occasion I had a pair of Kribensis that natually mated. I've recently taken the plunge into saltwater and I've had great experiences. This board has been a tremendous help and I WON'T go away -- so bring it. If you can't understand where I'm coming from and my theory and background on this than that's your problem not mine. It sometimes helps to be open minded ;)
Ok, I've said my peace and this thread can be closed because I know what I'm doing about the algae problem.
PS My tank is right next to this computer and I'm watching my clown and eel interact right now -- they are amazing together. I can't imagine not having them. I can hand feed both of them or allow them to 'hunt' their food. There are unbelievable animals.

heithingi

Hi dlight,
No, I seriously doubt I will appoligize for speaking my mind. Of course, I have been keeping up on many of RobbyTT's posts, and believe I accurately stated what I see as a very potential and ugly problem.
As for the comparison between fish and horses, yes, indeed I do see a link. For that matter, one can see it with just about any animal bought as a pet. Our society seems to have this convinience issue, meaning that they buy animals without thinking, then "throw away" those that do not work out. This happens a great deal. It is sad. As for horse auctions, many have what are called "killer" buyers. They buy horses for slaughter and ship the meat to Canada and Europe. The unfortunate thing about this practice is that it is very inhumane...someone's pet is sold through an auction, ends up at a slaughter yard, and is literally killed in a horribly cruel fashion which I will not go into here. With fish, I hear similar things...oh, just flush it, OR, just give it away, etc. Sometimes, especially with larger and aggressive fish, that is not so very simple. My POINT, however, is pretty simple. IF someone is deliberately going into this hobby with the PLANS on giving away, selling, or even flushing the fish when they get too large, then why on earth is this person even buying that said fish/es in the first place? Why not simply start with fish that in the long term, can live happily in that particular environment that has been provided?
If one wants an aggressive tank with these larger fish, then by all means, do it! Just provide the proper environment. I fail to see the humor displayed in many of these posts in regard to these large and aggressive fish crammed into a tiny tank, then hunting prey, and of course, eventually each other. It is NOT funny. It is cruel.
Lynda

robbytt

Lynda, I'm sorry -- you seem to keep missing my point. As far as earlier posts of mine, the plans of adding more triggers to my current salt water tank is NOT happening anymore. That can only be a reality when I move them to a bigger tank of mine. :)
Robby