brown diatoms, tired of it, please help

l.roach

someone please tell me a remedy for getting rid of brown diatoms. tired of it. i have 55 gallon with fish and live rock. just got ro/di unit and have done 5 water changes over past 2 weeks with good water and still no to little change. have 17lbs live rock and just added 50lbs base rock. have 4 turbo snails and 4 mexican turbo snails large, probably need more i am sure. tired of brown dusting on everything.

monalisa

Patience, patience, patience...
That's the name of the game. I didn't think the brown crap would ever diminish in my tank either, but given time...and proper cycling...then an appropriate clean up crew...then slowly, slowly. I remember hating to see that stuff too.
If you're thinking that you need more clean up crew, then go for it. I initially got a clean up crew that took care of things practically over night...maybe look into that. I ended up getting a crew from this site, and it was really great.
Good luck!!
Lisa :happyfish

stone

Mine didnt go away "and im talking 6 months" till I got a new and better RO/DI unit 5 stage and cut my feeding in half. I did them on advice from someone on this board. The problem is I dont know which one did the trick. I will tell you this I swore I wasnt over feeding but I think I was. Alot of people take it as an insult when you suggest over feeding.
mike

l.roach

tank has been set up for 2 years now and have had this prob for around 8 months now. snails have done a good job of cleaning some but slow at it. i feed once a day to maybe once every 2 days and dont feel i over feed at all. have done freshwater for 10 plus yrs and not this much trouble.

jbatjr

I had the same issue in my new tank and I have been adding my clean up crew little by little as I need them as to not over crowd the tank. I find most packages have way to much in them. But as far as the algea the best thing I got for that was a sally lightfoot crab. Let me just say those things eat like pigs although they are very sensitive to movement and scare very easy when you come close to the tank.

bwilson

I just got a HUGE clean up crew to get rid of mine! They are doing a great job and its great! When they are done I am going to take sone of them out and trade with my LFS, but for now its hermitt and snail city.
BW

carshark

Originally Posted by bwilson
I just got a HUGE clean up crew to get rid of mine! They are doing a great job and its great! When they are done I am going to take sone of them out and trade with my LFS, but for now its hermitt and snail city.
BW
good they will love the food!!!