Brown stuff on my tank

seabreeze

Hi everyone!! Just set up my tank about 5 weeks ago. I have a yellow tang, 3 spotted damsel, blue damsel, and a clown. Last week this brown film covered the walls of my tank and the dead coral (which was $40!!) So the coral is ruined i guess. Does anybody know what this is? And Is there anyway to get it off my coral?
thanx

tacks

No need to worry. This is NORMAL. It's diatoms and will go away within time. Every new tank goes through this. Just clean it often. Your decorations aren't ruined. Just take them out and clean them with some warm water and a scrub brush. Just don't use any chemicals like soap. Some people bleach theirs but I think that is asking for trouble. Hope this helps... WELCOME TO THE BOARD

S

slk3599

The brown stuff you have is probably diatoms. Typial in newly set up tanks. You can take your corals out and rinse them off. Won't hurt anything. Just wipe the diatoms off the glass in the main tank. Turbo snails will also help keep the diatoms in check.

Hi this is the algea everyone gets on the down side of a cycle, I am surprised your tang is a live, what are your tank readings now?? you are awfull lucky or you are going to be sad soon tangs wont tolerate the conditions that we have all gone through, let us know your readings , I am, sure you are still cycling... cya and good luck

i have to agree with everyone it is diatoms which is normal when a tank is going though or haveing starting to be established (i got a bunch of the stuff right now) give it time and eventually itll turn green but now on to more important things
a yellow tang in a tank 5 weeks old?? i dont think its a wise descion i never had one my self (due to my tank only being 20 gallons) but from what i understand is that tangs are hard to take care of, and are best if u put them in a ESTABLISHED tank(at least 6 months old) can anyone just back me up here(if im right)

Yep that was kinda what I was getting at but people are so sensitive about what fish are good for this size tank. All the books I have read and from everyone here feels the same way , tangs need lots of swimming areas I feel a 55 is too small , I think the min should be 75 or larger for this fish and many others , thats my opinion..cya

seabreeze

ok, i took a sample of my water to my lfs and he said that my cycle was almost complete. he actually recommended the tang....he said that the diatoms will turn white and fall off and the tang will eat them.........has anyone ever heard of that?....so far, the tang is doing fine.
thanx

S

slk3599

Personally, I think you LFS is an idiot. No way that tang should be in there while the tank is cycling. And brown diatoms will not turn white and fall off. They are cause by silicates in your water supply. Until your tank stabilizes and goes through the cycle, you will still have them.

goldfish

Using bleach is fine as long as you RINSE, RINSE, RINSE. Don't be afraid to use it as long as its with very hot water. Let it sit in a bucket of bleach and water overnight and you will see amazing results! Just be sure to rinse like crazy and let it DRY completely before placing it back into your tank. I let mine dry again over night just to be sure its done.

goldfish

Trey, I have used bleach for a long time just to clean the coral and it's fine. I am sure to RINSE thoroughly and dry thoroughly before placing it back into the tank. Never have had a problem.