BS Stingray

arasa

In previous threads, it has been mentioned that the blue spotted stingray is a difficult fish to keep, not living over few months. As I have mentioned in my previous post, I have now constructed a 400 gallon aquarium and wish to keep a coral cat shark and a stingray (possibly the BS or cali). I have placed orders at a store for the shark, but I would like to know what is the difficulty of this fish, if in fact it is eating in captivity and a well spaced tank bottom is provided?

aquaknight

I can't recite the species names off the top of my head, but there are actually two types of Blue Spotted Rays. One from Australia, that actually doesn't have that horrible of survival rates, and the other from somewhere that's slipping me as well. The "bad" one is unfortunately the heavily imported specimen, and I'm not sure there is actually a way to visually tell them apart. Do some googling, and my best advise would be to contact a trusty vendor that can verify the origins of the fish they order.

aquaknight

Well here they are, if you're set on a Blue Spotted ray, you want Dasyatis kuhlii. They are from generally from Australia (or at least shipped for the aquarium trade from Australia). The bad one, is Taeniura lymna, they are found throughout the Indo-Pacific region, all the way to Africa.
The only quick things I noticed in the couple of pics, was that kuhllis
have less spots, with litte to none on the head, and a brown tail, as opposed to the blue'ish tail on the lymna
. Definitely would recommend you research this further for confirmation.

el guapo

I would my self go with the cali or cortez ray . I had a cortez and it was an awesome creature and was very very hardy . Had it not gone carrpet surfing I am sure he would still be costing laps around the tank eating damsels .

prime311

I can't post a link, but just search google for Monster Fish Keepers, theres a lot of good info over there on keeping sharks and rays. Keep us posted with how everythings going and I'd love to see some pics when you get em :)

aquaknight

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2681616
I can't post a link, but just search google for Monster Fish Keepers, theres a lot of good info over there on keeping sharks and rays. Keep us posted with how everythings going and I'd love to see some pics when you get em :)
Yea, you probably will be forwarded to "*****" well.

arasa

Thanks guys,
I'll try to get some pics up when I get em with the tank, but just wondering why saltwaterfish.com doesnt have sharks or rays on the index? Hard to ship?
Just curious

krj-1168

Yeah - I would also suggest going with the Cortez Stingray. Easier to find and stays small enough to live in 400 gallon tank for life.