BTA Good/Bad Idea

whotzler

My desire to have a BTA is about a 7 out of 10 so its up there. Parameters are stable and tank is 8 months old. I do have some concerns. I am currently using Kessil 160w for lighting. Will this be enough light? I have several LPS that are thriving. SPS I have only had for couple months to soon tell. Has any one had BTA under this light or know of anyone who has? Next is my tank is 45 a gal pentagon with many coral frags, see pic, would it be a bad idea to add BTA with all the coral? Will the BTA likely hurt the coral in this setup finding it's place? All thoughts and opinions welcome!

tank6.jpg

2quills

Risky for sure. It will likely sting other corals as it moves around the tank to find a happy spot.

I think the light would be sufficient though.

lmforbis

Not going to be enough light. I have Kessil a360s and with t5 supplements they are enough for a BTA. With out the T5s it didn't work. The depth of your tank will be an issue with lighting.

whotzler

Not going to be enough light. I have Kessil a360s and with t5 supplements they are enough for a BTA. With out the T5s it didn't work. The depth of your tank will be an issue with lighting.
Good to know! My tank is 24" deep. I would have thought the 360s would have been plenty.

2quills

I think it's usually up to the clown on whether they host with an anemone. I could be wrong.

I used to have a true perk that loved my frogspawn. I've seen some clowns host with just about anything.

lmforbis

I've had clowns choose toadstool corals to live in. I think the BTA is probably the easiest to keep of the nems that clowns will live in. I had a carpet anemone a long time ago. It did well with a bit less light but that's probably because he got his nutrition from eating all my fish and inverts except my clarkii clown.