BTA question

The lfs just got in 2 small bta's that are green and pink. I have read the following:
Don’t buy a bleached anemone! These can recover over time, but they are not a wise purchase for such a delicate animal. Those specimens that are colored “day-glo” pink or green are not healthy. That coloration is an indication that the anemone has expelled its symbiotic zooxanthellae. Even the rose anemone — red, pink or orange in color — will show some signs of zooxanthellae (brown/green coloration) within its tissue
Does that mean there are no BTA's that are colored green or pink? Everywhere I go I only see "dyed" BTA's. Any suggestions?

eaglephot

Originally Posted by SaltWaterNoob
The lfs just got in 2 small bta's that are green and pink. I have read the following:
Does that mean there are no BTA's that are colored green or pink? Everywhere I go I only see "dyed" BTA's. Any suggestions?
No. Not true. One of my LFS has AMAZING green anemones for sale every once and a while. The coloring is great! Because it's green doesn't mean it isn't healthy.

eaglephot

I should have bought one that I saw. It's coloring was shocking (I thought). I'll pick one up when I get my tank algae free. :)

perfectdark

The BTA is scientifically called the Entacmaea Quadricolor. Which means 4 color possiblilities. Bleached specimines are obvious to pick out to one that isnt. First is research look at specimines online from reputable places. Second a Rose BTA is not bleached it is a pigmint given to the BTA by nature. There are a large range of color morphs that BTA's are found in usually starting with pinks and oranges to the sought after Rose. BTA's are typically brown'ish green color and is the most common specimes. Bleached anenomes are very easy to identify if the bleaching is from poor lighting or water etc.. the anenome will fade the natural color and turn bright white and eventually fade down to the base and foot of the animal. Dyed anenomes is a completly different story and is not a recomended purchase. These animals are delicate enough and are not for the novice reefer. Injecting one with dye IMO is just adding injury to an animal whos success rate in captivity is already low.