BTA Time Period Question

fretfreak13

So guess who got the OK (and the funding!) to put up a small saltwater at her school? MOI! =D I'm so excited. Anyways, it'll be a ten gallon because I have a spare laying around and a 20in T5 light, so all I have to do not is find a heater and get 'er up and cycling. I'll be doing this over the summer and then transporting the tank to school a week before school starts next year. If they like it, I'll get even more funding to upgrade to a bigger tank! =D
Anyways, there's a local breeder who sells baby clowns that are about the size of my pinky nail. I was planning on getting a pair of those tiny things for the tank, and hopefully a tiny BTA for them to play in. The students would love the "nemo" setup. I was wondering, if I didn't buy all new rock and used sand from my current DT, would I have to wait the six months for the nem?

btldreef

The time period is due to the anemone's need for consistent water conditions. New tanks usually don't have the stability of water parameters that an anemone needs. That being said, I've never waited more than 3 months... You just have to be smart, if your water isn't good, neither will the nems health.

ibew41

10g is imo to small for anemones they grow fast and water quality in a small tank like this are very hard to keep.look around there are tons of 29g tanks cheep and lights for them

fretfreak13

Originally Posted by IBEW41
http:///forum/post/3228240
10g is imo to small for anemones they grow fast and water quality in a small tank like this are very hard to keep.look around there are tons of 29g tanks cheep and lights for them

I know, I have two 29s at my house. However, this is for the school and I can't afford to go that big without myuch help. They're giving me like 100$, the rest if comming out of my pocket. It's kinda rough on a jobless 16 year old. I'd be upgrading to probably either a 55 or a 40 breeder within the next eight months. It would grow that
fast?

ibew41

in less than 4 months my 3" rbta went to about 8" my others are about 10-12" this was the 3"

fretfreak13

Oh! Do all nems grow that fast? What if I didn't get a BTA? Maybe a Haitian or a Sebae? I'd have to research 'em more, I've never thought about getting anything other than a BTA. lol

btldreef

Nems grow faster when fed and under halides than they do under T5's typically.
You can also frag a bubble tip, don't know if you're aware of that.