Bta???

fish4ever

Do BTA's move when they need to? I was wondering cause I purchased one last night from my lfs, and now today he is underneath a ledge on my live rock completely out of the light. Will he move back into the light, or should I worry? I know it is best just to let them do there thing but I would like to know.
Thanks in advance!

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by fish4ever
Do BTA's move when they need to? I was wondering cause I purchased one last night from my lfs, and now today he is underneath a ledge on my live rock completely out of the light. Will he move back into the light, or should I worry? I know it is best just to let them do there thing but I would like to know.
Thanks in advance!

Yes all anemones will move to get comfortable. Let it roam till it settles. If it doesnt come out in a couple of days, unattach it and place it where you want it to be.
What are your lights? Do you have decent flow? They like both.

fish4ever

The lfs I purchased it from had it under standard flour. lighting for over a good 2 months and it actually was doing quite well. But I know that lighting is not enough for it, so I purchased it and now have it under pc lights, with a 20,000K bulb and a true actinic. But if I have to move it, how can I get it off the rock without ripping the foot?

ccampbell57

The lfs I purchased it from had it under standard flour. lighting for over a good 2 months and it actually was doing quite well. But I know that lighting is not enough for it, so I purchased it and now have it under pc lights, with a 20,000K bulb and a true actinic. But if I have to move it, how can I get it off the rock without ripping the foot?
Just wave your hand in the water in front of it and get it to retract itself. Then carefully pull on the foot and it should start to release. If it doesnt, then you need to wait it out.
The other thing is your water parameters. What are they? Anemones dont tolerate even moderate water. You have to have near perfect water for them to do well on top of all the other requirements.

fish4ever

I almost forgot...I have 15x for flow in the tank.
Okay, my water params are:
PH - 8.2
Nitrate - 10
Nitrite - 0
Amm - 0
Phosphates - 0
dKH - 12
Salinity (refractometer) - 1.025
Temp. - 78

fish4ever

I am thinking he is probably hiding right now cause he isn't used to my lights, cause they are obviously more powerful than the lfs.

ccampbell57

I almost forgot...I have 15x for flow in the tank.
Okay, my water params are:
PH - 8.2
Nitrate - 10
Nitrite - 0
Amm - 0
Phosphates - 0
dKH - 12
Salinity (refractometer) - 1.025
Temp. - 78
The params look ok. There is nothing that catches my eye.
I think you may have the lights issue right. There is an adjustment and it may need to get used to it.
Keep a close eye on it.

perfectdark

BTA's are also known for hiding under your LR and then stretching wayyyy out to reach a place where it can eat, get flow, or catch light. Its completly normal and unless you notice it under stress, where ever it resides IMO I would leave it alone. I have one that will stretch so far out that the distance from its base to its foot is almost 5 inches and skinny.. but it only does that on occasions most times it pops out and inflates right where it resides. Your lights are sufficient and it most likley is the reason why its hiding out for a bit. Also getting used to its surroundings it is in a spot where it feels safe. Good luck.

fish4ever

Thanks Perfectdark for more insight!
I appreciate everyone's help on this website! And my BTA is actually coming out a little more everyday.

apu701

hey, im goin throught the same thing.. got a pink bubble tip... i got it and within 24 hours it moved to a shaded area to hide from a light.. it was in someone's sump after it split from a bigger mother..
can you tell me what happened to urs? how long did it take for it to seek lights again.. I have a MH 150 watt light and im sure it was under much less powerful lights in the sump. anything i should watch out for? thanks..
parameters are all like urs except my temp is 82 but stable with 82-84. pretty high flow (tunze 6045 in a 24g nano.. that about 1200g/hour pointed upward to create a fountain like flow on top)
sorry to hijack ur thread a little.. just asking for an update and experience..

perfectdark

Its just getting acclimated to your tank.. Nothing to worry about right now its normal for it to retract to where its safe.. It will also need to acclimate itself to the higher intensity lighting you have. In doing so it my stay in hiding for a while. As long as it has good color, inflates and eats you'll be ok IMO.

perfectdark

Thanks Perfectdark for more insight!
I appreciate everyone's help on this website! And my BTA is actually coming out a little more everyday.

BTW what wattage bulb do you have in your tank?

apu701

i have the coralife hqi DE 150 watt ushio 14k bulb, in use for 2 weeks.. im acclimating evrything to the light so its on a 5 hour a day cycle. for now.. increasing half hour every week.... is this ok?