bubble algae

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Gently dislodge it and throw it away. However, I have some growing in my tank and its never been a problem. But it can become a nuisance, so if you're worried about it, just pull it out wo breaking it.

carrie1429

They are ok to have in your tank, I mean they're not bad but they are kinda ugly, I have a few growing on my LR, doesn't harm anything. I have heard that emerald crabs will eat them.

M

mr hanky

1 can turn into 1000 very easily trust me i thought they were kinda neat looking at first now i wish i never had them!!!!! i cant pull them out fast enough! nor can my mithrax crabs keep up w/them either. im thinkin about getting a desjardines sailfin tang just to help the problem! $100 fish for an algea problem, dosnt seem worth having the weird little bubbles huh!!!! hth robby

Z

zodiac's tang

I just noticed my first bubble algae. I'm concerned about pulling it off, that I might break it and I understand this can be a mess. Should the bubble be pretty easy to pull off the rock?

carrie1429

Yes they can break open and create a bit of a mess in your tank but I don't think its toxic to any of your fish or anything. Just try to pull them off as carefully as you can. When I tried to remove one off my LR it was kinda hard to detach and I was worrying about it breaking so I just left it in and have had no problem with it al all.

almarktool

well u could always take the rock out put it in a bucket of saltwater and pick it off there , that would be my first shot at it,
i have 2 emerals and well the don't even look at the green bublles i prob got 4-5 of them around for 9 months no no problems so far,
if anyone has a emerad that likes green bubbles and is willing to rent it out let me know

Z

zodiac's tang

I just tried to roll mine off the live rock and it is not budging. It is in a crevice, so I would have to pull it off the rock vs. rolling it off the rock. Should I just leave it? I did buy an emerald crab last night with hopes that it will eat it.

carrie1429

You could take a chance and leave it, sometimes they stay under control or sometimes they will take over and then be really hard to remove. I would take Almarktool's advice and take the rock out of the water then remove the algae, then if it did break it wouldn't be in your tank.

N

newreefers

1 can turn into 1000 is an understatement, have had bad luck with this stuff. The minute I see one bubble, I get it out of there. I have had them pop while trying to remove, no damage done though.

jonthefb

if you are that worried about it, start a siphon with a large piece of vinyl tubing, place the tubign right over the algae, pop the darn thing, then vacum up whaterver is left. then all you have to do is throw the water away!
good luck
jon