bubble algae?

tagg

Originally posted by CindySki
by the way i am talking about the little blue ball there in the middlish of the pic :thinking:

Are you sure someone didn't put that in there to mess with your mind? :thinking:
Is it growing? is it as shiney as it looks in the picture?
One of the kids dropped a blue thing in there?
:notsure: No clue...sorry
Tagg

cindyski

well, first nobody put anything in the tank. it wasnt there when i got the rock so i guess its growing. i will definatly keep an eye on it and see if it changes, it looks like a pearl dosnt it? strange :silly:

tagg

The only other thing I could think of is maby some strange type of sponge or polyp. But the blue color?
I already searched my data base I made, and couldn't find anything even close to that thing.
I hope someone can identify it for you. I would like to steal the picture and add it to my files.
Good luck.......Tagg

cindyski

i just looked at it again and now it looks greyish :thinking: :thinking: but it hasnt moved.
thanks for trying and i hope i can get an id on it. i think i'll post it in the reef fourm, or maybe even in the photo contest since i only have a couple pics to post anyway.
you dont have to steal the pic :) i'll let you have it :happy:

tagg

Originally posted by CindySki
you dont have to steal the pic :) i'll let you have it :happy:

Thanks! :)
Tagg

broomer5

Looks like Velonia to me - aka bubble algae !
Some folks think it's attractive ...... I don't
I would remove the rock from the tank, and pry it off without bursting it.
Toss it away and don't pry it off under water.
Get it out of there - you only have one now - you have a chance to keep "it" from spreading.
Where there's one - there may be more to come.

smember

emerald or green mythrax crabs will eat this type of algae. but if you only have one scrape it off out side of the tank. It has a tough skin and should not pop with gentle pressure but if it does pop in your tank it can continue to grow and reproduce.

buzz

5 emeralds? Yeah, they'll eventually find it and make short work of it. You'll wake up one day and it will be gone.
Watch those crabs carefully. When they get big, they CAN develop a nasty streak. 5 is a lot.

cindyski

oh great (emeralds) now another problem
the were on sale here with a minimum of 5 and i have lots of algae, so thats why i got them. what are they gonna go after? are they gonna get my fish & corals?

tagg

Cool...
One for my records.
If there were more of them, and different colors, you could just say that it was Christmas decorations.

Tagg

buzz

It is not a guarantee that they will go after anything, but it is possible. I had one green that was a nuisance, knocking over corals, chomping on fan worms, etc. Had another green that never bothered anything...last one was a red emerald, and he wreaked havoc. He chopped up a small lettuce nudi, clipped the frills on another, killed ALL of my fan worms, and mangled my blue tang while it slept. It has healed up now, but has no left side fin anymore.
First chance I got he was gone. Personally, I won't get anymore unless somehow my tank becomes overrun with algae.
Just keep an eye on them, and keep them spot fed. My tank is 100g, and I only had one in there.