Bubble Algea Problem?

I ordered LR a couple of weeks ago and some pieces had bubble algea well....alot of bubble algea...I have 2 blue legged hermits, and 1 scarlet hermit and will have yellow polyps, zoas, and mushrooms next week...I've read that emerald crabs sometimes eat hermits??
is that true?
If soo....anything else that takes care of bubble algea?
Thanks,
-Amy

I know that they will help...but are they for sure reef safe...and will they eat my hermits! I love Brownie, Greenie, and Scarlet!! lol

ninjamini

Pull the rock out and scrape them off with a razor. Then rinse with ro. Worked for me.
I have also herd that you can cover the bubble with crazy glue. Then it will dye away.

florida joe

Bubble algae is not nearly as fragile as you may think if you can get the rock out you can scrap it off if not emeralds will do a job but may not get all of them (emeralds are reef safe as long as they have algae to eat) one good way is to take some vinyl tubing ½ inch in diameter like the one you may use to siphon water out of your tank start to siphon some water into a bucket put the hose over the bubble algae and use it to scrap and siphon the bubble algae out and into the bucket

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2471308
Bubble algae is not nearly as fragile as you may think if you can get the rock out you can scrap it off if not emeralds will do a job but may not get all of them (emeralds are reef safe as long as they have algae to eat) one good way is to take some vinyl tubing ½ inch in diameter like the one you may use to siphon water out of your tank start to siphon some water into a bucket put the hose over the bubble algae and use it to scrap and siphon the bubble algae out and into the bucket
Okay...so if I can't get all of the bubble algae off...I should get an emerald? Right now it would have plenty to eat!! i don't have that big of a clean up crew yet, so do you think it would be safe to get one? Also if I decided to get 2 of them..would they accept algae sheets if there wasn't a lot of algae later on? ( I'm sure that will never be a problem but would like to know just in case)

florida joe

Originally Posted by amyandbrandon2
http:///forum/post/2471339
Okay...so if I can't get all of the bubble algae off...I should get an emerald? Right now it would have plenty to eat!! i don't have that big of a clean up crew yet, so do you think it would be safe to get one? Also if I decided to get 2 of them..would they accept algae sheets if there wasn't a lot of algae later on? ( I'm sure that will never be a problem but would like to know just in case)
yes that would be fine just make sure you get small ones no bigger then a dime

flricordia

Good way to remove it without it breaking and spreading. Can be done under water or out. I do it under so I don't have to pull out any corals on rock. Works just as well.

smear super glue gel making sure to get inbetween bubbles.

allow to cure for at least a couple hours then remove with algae attatched

All gone. May take time if you have a lot, but patience is the secret to a successful reef tank.

okay now I'm confused...because mine doesn't really look like that....I don't know if you can tell what this is from the pic but heres a few!

It's not really green like yours...its more brown and red...
any ideas what it is, or is it still bubble algea

apos

Emerald crabs are less aggresive than most crabs, but like any crab, not 100% reef or invert safe. Nor are they guaranteed to eat bubble algae, unfortunately. I've found that siphoning works pretty well for the smaller sized ones. The superglue trick looks interesting, but I always worry about putting things like glue in my system, particularly glues that smell scary.