Bubble anemones

inkman2004

I went to my dreadfull lfs today looking for an anemone. Usually their stock is horrible so you have to make sure you get there when they receive their shipments or the corals and inverts are bleached within a week. I got there and saw two small bubble anemone and they wanted 40 bucks for it. I was going to pass on it till I asked the lady which one looked like it was in better shape and I guess she got fed up with me asking questions and she said I tell you what give me ten bucks and I will give you both of them. I jumped at it. When she bagged them up they looked a little clear, but when I got them home and stuck them under my lights one turned a pretty shade of purple and the other a darker green. I will try to post a pic tommorrow. I cant get them in focus very well. My question is, do bubble tip anemones usually have a purple tint to them. I have only seen green ones. Or did I get a different type of anemone I am not aware of? I dont think it was bleached.

fishamajig

love to see a pic. I have not much experience with these things but your best bet is to put up a pic and im sure youll get some feedback

T

thomas712

Originally posted by inkman2004
My question is, do bubble tip anemones usually have a purple tint to them. I have only seen green ones. Or did I get a different type of anemone I am not aware of? I dont think it was bleached.

There have been other color morphs, and I don't exactly know if a purple one exists, but my thoughts are these.
1. You may have gotten a hold of some other type of anemone.
2. They may be a morph of an RBTA.
In the coming weeks you may see them change, most likely. Keep and eye on them an post a progress report. For now allow them a couple of weeks to get used to your tank, during this time try to feed them only one time per week, they will be spending energy acclimating and perhaps moving, thats why I say only once during these two weeks. There after if you like 2 or 3 times per week. Really if you have proper lighting the BTA's can get by with an occational feeding just once or twice per month.
What color would you say the column or base of the anemone is?
Thomas

inkman2004

their base is a pinkish color right now. I tried to feed them today when I went home for lunch but I don't exactly know what they look like when they are trying to eat. I used a turkey baster to try and feed them mysis. Their tentacles weren't reaching out to try and grab pieces though. I figured that they were still in a little bit of shock. Thanks for the reply.
I will try to post some pics tonight

inkman2004

Sorry it took so long to get a pic up. I tried several times last night and this morning but it kept telling me there was a problem with SWF database.

scubataibi

if ur anemones really r a morph of rbta's, that would be cool! those anemones are about 80 bucks each! 10 bucks is a great deal!!!

inkman2004

It has been a while since I updated just wanted to let everyone know how the little guys are doin. The green one has passed. My clowns got a little ruff with him and knocked him into a power head. The purple one I was referring to has turned to an olive color with pink tips. He seems to be doing well. As soon as I get a good pick I will post.

A

autopilot

I have had my BTA for about 6 months or so. It has split once under my 6x54watt t5s. I just got 1 250 watt MH (plan on getting another this summer when i get more money) and it looks better than it ever has. Its tenticles actually are starting to well bubble.

broncofish

Originally posted by inkman2004
The green one has passed. My clowns got a little ruff with him and knocked him into a power head.

Clown fish can not get ruff enough to knock a healthy anemone off rock/glass etc, also if you do have anemone's remember to keep heaters gaurded, and powerhead intakes should be covered with sponges...here a picture is worth a thousand words

A

autopilot

Man my camera has been crappy since I fell this winter with it in my pocket :mad: As you can see I also have a aglea problem. But I am working on that. It seems to have gotten better since I added new light. My old ones were getting really bad and It was growing uncontrolablly. Now it hasn't grow since only what was there before is still there and my LMB is working on that slowly.