Bubble anenome's

slammy16

I have a 72gl reef and a 12gl nano. I originally started with one rose bubble in each tank.
In my 72 my anenome has prabably split 5-7 times in the past 1.5yrs. I have scince traded some in on things etc.... I still have the original ( I think) and its doing fine its just the arms of the anenome are long and stringy not bulb shaped at all. They have always looked like this. I have 2 250-wtt mogul base metal hailide one 14k one 20k.
Now in my 12 the anenome has always in my opinion looked much better than the one in the 72 prabably 2times the size and nice bulb tips. It has split once. The lighting in this one is just the power compacts.
Now i tried a experiment i took one of the anenomes out of the 72 and put it in the 12 and vice versa. Over time, lets say 2 weeks the anenomes change the one from the 12 looses the bulb tips and they become elongated and the one from the 72 re-developes the bulb tips. SO here is my question is the lighting too powerful in the big tank is that what makes this happen? I assume they are doing fine in the big tank scince they have split so many times . Was just wondering what would make this happen . Water parameters are good in both tanks.
:help:

scsinet

First off, any anemone that isn't dying should be considered doing well. It sounds like you are doing well with them!
The bubbles sometimes are there, sometimes not. I have two BTAs in my big reef and one has bubbles, one doesn't, and that can change on a daily basis. My nano has a little one in it that always does.
I've heard that it has something to do with feeding. Do you supplementally feed yours? I don't feed mine if that matters.
From everyone else I've talked to, it's seemingly random, but it's obvious there is something different about the two systems. I wouldn't say that any one is doing worse or better than another though.

xokarmaxo

It's funny that you mentioned this as I am wondering about this too. My co-worker and I both have the Oceanic 14 Biocube in our offices. I was told that the stock pc lighting that comes with our tanks was not strong enough for anemones. Our LFS told us that our stock pc lighting WAS sufficient for only the BTA and said that they have had great success with other customers with nano type tanks getting BTA's, having only the stock lighting.
My co-worker has a true percula (as do I) and she went ahead and got a beautiful BTA (light green with rose tips) last week and almost immediately, her clownfish dove right in and hosted it. I noticed that the arms on the anemone when she first got it was long and stringy/flowy, and I started to wonder if she really got a BTA or something else. After 2 days, the BTA started "developing" the bulb tips and now, it's just gorgeous. Not every single arm is "bulbed", but it looks like it's getting there! :cheer:
When she put the anemone in the tank, it perched itself on a piece of rock right up front. The next day, it had moved itself to the side of the glass where it has remained since then.
Now... I wonder the same thing as you. In the LFS, they have the MH lighting above their anemone/coral section and when she got it from them, it had the straight, flowy arms. Now, since it's been in a tank with just the stock pc lighting, it seems to be getting its bulbs back.

Is it just "happier" in the tank with not as strong of light in it, or what? I'm going to see how she does with her anemone and if it works out well, and the anemone seems healthy and happy, I might get one for my tank and see if my percula will host it!
I'm interested in others thoughts as well.... please advise.

ser_cyclops

this is a really good thread we should keep it goin b/c i have wondered this too. and i just got my clowns the other day + + + :cheer: :happyfish

slammy16

bracebldrs--No i do not swap water from tank to tank, the only time they get some water mixed in is if i take a rock or a frag of something or a anenome to the other tank.
SCSInet---I used to feed my anenomes some krill and occasional silversides but i really dont feed them regularly anymore. I see them grab flake or mysis and such when i feed the fish.
In my 12gl i have 2 false perc. that love the anenomes. Kind of a strange way that my clown started hosting. In the tank there is some grape calurpa ( i think thats what its called) and occasionaly i have to take some out because it grows so fast and large it hides things. Well it had been a few weeks and neither clown would go in the anenome and this really took some doing because at the time the anenome was huge (approx. 8-9inches dia.) Well anyway im reaching my hand in there and pulling out some of the calerpa the clowns got scared and hid, well they both swam inside the anenome for protection and previously they had never even touched the thing so ever scince then they are in there. So heres my recomendation for getting a clown to host just chase it into the anenome or scare it in there........ just kidding
Keep the posts coming im glad im not the only person that has noticed this.

fbm

Mine had bulbs until I started feeding him/her. Now they are very long and flowing. I like the look of him better this way. I am wondering though I stop feeding him if he will go back to bulbs. I feed mine alot though and he is getting big.

scsinet

Cooincidentally enough, I read today that they extend their tentacles out as far as possible when hungry, which causes the bulbs to go away. When fed/satisfied, the bulbs return.
I have not though seen any coorelation as such in my tanks, but I have very powerful lighting on both systems with anemones, so it's entirely possible that they are adequately fed from the xooxanthellae inside their tissue with adequate light.

slammy16

Ya i really dont agree with that or i guess i should say i havent seen any of that.
When i took one out of the big tank to the small i didnt feed it and the bulb look came back. It has to be the lighting.

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by slammy16
When i took one out of the big tank to the small i didnt feed it and the bulb look came back. It has to be the lighting.
I'm starting to wonder and agree with that, because like I said, the bta that is in my co-workers Biocube 14 with just the stock pc lighting seems to be happier and healthier, getting its bulbs back under that lighting than it did in the LFS with the MH's.

I'm still anxious to hear others opinions/experiences on the same.

salt_water

I've been told they will have long, flowing arms when they are fed adequately, by hand or by a clownfish bringing it floating peices of food. If they are not, they expand themselves and their tips(bubls) to "catch" as much light as they can, as to feed by way of xooxanthellae. I have two BTA's and still can't really make heads or tails of any of it. There may be more "food" (and I dont mean mysis shrimp, krill, copepods) floating around in the 12g tank then your 72g tank.So in short I think all of our anemones are doing fine, which is great.

T

thomas712

If you want to get technical about it the original poster would have to post all information and stats about both tanks, not just a general water tests fine. However generally speaking about bulbs vs. the long (no bulb) tentacle.
No one really knows. Its a product of environment.
Lighting spectrum and strength would certainly have something to do with how this animal and its zooxanthellae that lives within will react.
Availability of food, and nutrients that are in the animal will have an affect.
Water chemistry too will have its factors thrown in, with differing results.
The salt you use
The temp of the tank
The other types of corals kept
The whole overall chemistry of the tank
I've personally seen both bubble tips and long flowing tips in my 90 with 440W of VHO and 500W of MH (2-250)10k bulbs.
I agree with what SCSInet said:
From everyone else I've talked to, it's seemingly random, but it's obvious there is something different about the two systems. I wouldn't say that any one is doing worse or better than another though
Thomas

allyric

I have a question to add to this thread. I have a green tip anemone and during the daylight hours(t5 lighting) he is bunched up and very bright green. But after the lights go out he looks as if he blows up. He spreads all out about 1 foot in diameter, and his tenticles get long and stringy, is this normal or more so is he OK???? I feed him everyother day with squid.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by allyric
I have a question to add to this thread. I have a green tip anemone and during the daylight hours(t5 lighting) he is bunched up and very bright green. But after the lights go out he looks as if he blows up. He spreads all out about 1 foot in diameter, and his tenticles get long and stringy, is this normal or more so is he OK???? I feed him everyother day with squid.
I don't think I have ever fielded a question like that one, though I have heard of rare anemones having a more nocturnal nature but very seldom, most have the diurnal or even diel time cycles.(at least the most common hosting types do).
Thomas

J

jrthomas40

has anyone ever noticed if they have clowns inhabiting the anemone if the clowns will feed it by bring food back to it and dropping in the center??

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
has anyone ever noticed if they have clowns inhabiting the anemone if the clowns will feed it by bring food back to it and dropping in the center??
They often bring food back to the anemone, however its more of a selfish thing IMO. They hope to bring food back to hide it rather than just to feed the anemone. Its a matter of opinion though.
Thomas

jimosburg

allyric, my bubble tip has been doing the same thing. Green and bunched up during the day. Starts getting bigger at night. In the morning he is the biggest, with clown fish laying in him

scsinet

Originally Posted by Thomas712
They often bring food back to the anemone, however its more of a selfish thing IMO. They hope to bring food back to hide it rather than just to feed the anemone. Its a matter of opinion though.
Thomas
Hmmm... I never thought of it that way but that makes perfect sense. As far as they are concerned the anemone is their home... it's kinda like me hoarding tanks and hiding them in my attic.

tahoetanks

I try to feed my anemone about once every two weeks (small pieces of table shrimp). The pig of a clown that I have though snatches up the shrimp and makes a break for it. But the anemone is doing well with out getting all or any of the shrimp. I'm sure he gets some spillage or something though. He seems to be content.