Bubble Coral in 12gal Nano Reef?

mgalyk

I am starting a Nano Reef tank 12 gal tank size is 13 1/4 x 15 1/4 x 14 /14 High with 24watt CFs do you think I will have enough light for a bubble coral?
:happy:

manjisann

Tell us how it works out, I have a little over 115w on my 20gal and was thinking of this coral. still need to due tons of research though.

aggie05

If you are sure to feed it every few days or so it will be a lot healthier. I have had mine now for several months and it has at least doubled in size. Of course I keep mine under 150 watts VHO and feed it regularly.

adamz

how would oyu know how much a bubble grows and how big of a tank it needs cuz are yo ua reef expert now !!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

mgalyk

I have always loved the way Bubble Corals looked and thought it might be cool to try one in my Nano tank. Before I ever started in the reef world I seen a nano tank with one in it. I defiantly don’t want to put the coral in a bad environment, and it seems like the general consensus is that it is a bad idea so maybe I will research the idea a little further. Thanks for the input. :happyfish

aggie05

Just to give you an idea, my bubble coral, which i have had for about 4-6 months now, is the size of a junior league football now. At least 8 inches across.

manjisann

Well I suppose that would get too big for my tank. Can you frag bubble coral? (I'm guessing not, but it is just a guess.)

overanalyzer

The biggest problem with a bubble coral is that it needs a lot of real estate. I used ot have on in my 5.5 and people would comment how it took up 1/3rd of the tank. If you feed it and give it space and keep the tank mates non-toxic it is easy to do with your lighting. A lot of LPS corals come from lower down in the murky parts of the reef - meaning a lot less light intesive. Sadly I can't tell you how to pick out the light intesive v non-light intesive ones but I'd recommend sprung's guide on corals.
Can you frag them - yes - but generally a huge pain. If you want a frag look for a branching one.
To give you an idea - when my clown was fouling my tank and I had no place to stash my bubble my bubble coral receeded and died. in its place I put a 2.25 pound piece of LR. Prior to it's death it kept the GSP i had from spreading, ate slivers of shrimp 3 times a week (co-workers loved that) and would puff up HUGE.
So can it be done - yes - most folks don't because they need a lot of space for their sweepers/tenticles and then there is hte problem of growth.
if you want one - get a small one!