Bubble Coral Question

tgill

I have a bubble coral jumped off his rock. About half of the coral died. Where he pulled back from the skeleton that are several small spots of what looks like baby bubble coral. Is this how they heal? All of my levels are good and I have recently upgraded my lights. The spots are very small(less that 1 cm) but one of them is growing more than the others and looks more developed. When you look at them they are small bubbles of the same color as my suicidal bubble coral.

manger

ok, i saw a pearl bubble in LFS with only a small bit of tissue in center of corallum and what i think to be the same very small spots that you speak of. I bought it, $8, knowing that the bubble couldn't reclaim the skeleton it had receeded from but hoping that the small spots, 1-2mm would each grow there own corallum. though the original tissue 5mm X 2cm has begun growing a new stalk, the small spots have shown almost no growth in the last 6mos. i think in your case the best you can hope for is that the spots grow into their own speciments and that the surviving piece can be removed in some time from skelatal remains so that it doesn't look sickly.

overanalyzer

I disagree - while it is not typical a bubble coral can rec;laim areas where it has previously receeded. I purchased a save me bubble coral and it had several "gaps" where the coral was not growing on the skelleton .... I took a soft bristled toothbrush - and gently scrubbed away the algea and very gentle massaged the tissue near the exposed opening. I have circledthe one spot where it has not completely reclaimed the skeleton. It wasl ike that all the way up and down the center of hte skeleton though - huge gapping holes....

nm reef

Most of the bubble corals can be very tolerant and can sometimes recover from tissue damage. Insure proper water chemistry...provide a low current and adaquate lighting...and direct feed every few days. I have seen near dead bubbles fully recover...so it can happen...but they do need some TLC and a measure of patience.:thinking:

manger

i like the technique you suggested overanalyzer of scrubbing skeleton. do you think that this spec would be able to reclaim old skel? how long do you think it will take before i could break new forming stalk off if it can't reclaim? excuse blurry pic please