Bubbler in the reef

lar

My new project is a small reef to add some movement and interesting look I thought about adding a bubbler which would be just a hose with some holes poked into it. I would bury it under the rock, It may add a little more water movement and a interesting look. (24in cube tank) any bad effect on corals to be expected?

No bad effect on corals but you're gonna end up w/ salt creep around top of aquarium. As bubbles pop, salt spray will form a crust in that area. Also, the bubbles could (if small enough) skim some protein from water but would only be effective at this if "scum" was removed regularly.

nm reef

Never see many reefs(or any saltwater systems) that use air bubbles.
As mentioned above they will contribute to excessive salt creep...can cause damage/irratation to some corals...do tend to accumulate on rocks/sand... and just doesn't look right.
Good air/gas exchange can be achievied by placing the flow of a power head towards the water surface causing a ripple...and current can be just as effective within the water column by using power heads to circulate through out the system.

B

blue_carpet

there is a chance that the coral could asorab the bubbles and be hurt