bubbles from skimmer

rickt4du

i purchaced a Sea Clone protein skimmer about a month ago and from the first minute i turned it on it put bubbles (lots of tiny bubbles) back into the tank. i lrt it run for a while and they never stopped. i tried adjusting the air flow ...no good...ive since tried it almost daily figuring that i had some traces of the slime agent left in the tank and have even done a water change...still, the bubbles are so bad that it obstructs the view of the rest of the tank....ANY SUGGESTIONS?

kb

I have a 150 gallon aquarium w/ an oceanic protein skimmer and I have the same problems with the bubbles. My protein skimmer is in the trickle filter and I have a hose from the discharge of the skimmer that runs away from the pump that brings the water back to the tank and that helped a little. The bubbles are worse when there is more water in the trickle filter and a little better when there is less water. I have messed around with the air flow too but it really doesn't help! I would like to know what can be done too!

kris

Check with the manufacturer or the vendor from whom you purchase it about whether they make a degasser that attaches to the skimmer.
My new titan skimmer offered one and it works wonderfully.

hasq

Originally posted by rickt4du:
i purchaced a Sea Clone protein skimmer about a month ago and from the first minute i turned it on it put bubbles (lots of tiny bubbles) back into the tank. i lrt it run for a while and they never stopped. i tried adjusting the air flow ...no good...ive since tried it almost daily figuring that i had some traces of the slime agent left in the tank and have even done a water change...still, the bubbles are so bad that it obstructs the view of the rest of the tank....ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I have a MarineTech HSA 1000 and it did the same thing to my 220 gal. After countless hours I finally struck upon a solution. Have your skimmer output tub pour onto a piece of 1.5 inch of foam rubber (ie a piece of foam cushion contained in the sump area of your trickle). When the bubble enhanced water from the filter comes in contact with the foam, the bubbles are trapped. To really eliminate the bubbles, place a plastic container in the sump area. On the sides, near the bottom of the container, drill large holes. Place a foam rubber baffle in the container at water level. Have output empty into container. As a result of this contraption, all of the water has to pass through the foam prior to exiting the lg holes located at the bottom.

kris

Congratulations hasq--you've just created your own degasser--very ingenius. I'm impressed.

rickt4du

thanks for all the suggestions....i'm going to try that hasq.....btw great boards here more info than the books i have and better answers too.