Bug of the Week - Cirolanid Isopods

bang guy

Now that I have your attention I would like to introduce you to the absolute worst animal that could ever make its way into your Reef Aquarium. There are over a hundred different species of Cirolanids and almost half are parasitic.
A closely related group of Isopods called Aegids appear nearly identical but are considered generally harmless. For my personal purposes I group them together since I can't tell them apart. Just keep in mind that there is another large group of Isopods to consider.
As I stated, many of the Cirolanids are harmless detrivore/scavengers but many are bloodsucking parasites. How do we tell them apart? Seeing a small roly-poly bug hanging off a fish is probably the best indication that you're in trouble. The parasitic type normally hides in the sand or a hole in the rock waiting for nightfall and a victim to swim by. They swim blindingly fast and have no trouble overtaking a fish and latching on with the two front claws. Once attached they will quickly start sucking blood or simply eating the flesh. They will eventually kill the fish.
These bugs range in size from 1mm to reports of 3 feet!! There have been a few reports of them attacking and injuring divers and MANY reports of aquarists being bitten. One specific type will attack sharks by burrowing into the body and swimming to the heart where they feast for a few weeks until the shark dies.
The reason I raise the panic bar for these critters is that there's really no cure. They reproduce rapidly in a reef tank with so many places to hide and nothing reef safe to eat them. Their physical speed makes them very difficult to catch. A few types can only live on fish blood and a tank deviod of fish will kill them off after 4 - 6 months. However, many can survive as scavengers between fish meals.
Please share your experiences and any antidotes you may have discovered.

entice59

what are the odd's of that being in our tanks and how does it get into our tanks? Man that thing is creepy looking, with its buggy eyes and fangs.... looks like a vampire!:eek:

tahoe ocean

EWWW! Looks like a mite that can infect dogs and cats and cause a yucky mange-like infestation. fortunately that is treatable! unlike your ucky bug!

GOD ALMIGHTY!! :eek: :eek:
That is quite possibly the single most horrible looking bug I've ever seen! I sincerely hope that one of these despicable creatures from hell does not find it's way into my tank!
Any way to avoid this? :confused:

reef fool

WOW! A bug like that could make someone bail out of this hobby in a hurry!
And here I was worried about a tiny little 5" bristleworm.
I have never seen one and I hope I don't! Thanks for the heads up Bang Guy.
Can't wait till next week's bug. Let's try and make it a happy bug please.

jonthefb

Guy are these also referred to as fish lice??? jsut wondering cause i could see the confusion if they are different as both attatch to fish and feed on them...the reason i ask is because last week a lady brought a freshly dead yellow tang into the lfs that i work at and it had these little bugs that were imbeded into the skin of the fish...after carefully removing one, placing it in alcohol, and examining it under a scope, the only thing i could make it out to be was a fish louse, didnt look very much like your pic, so i was wondering if these were two different bugs!
anyhow, thanks for the info and good luck!
jon

bang guy

Originally posted by jonthefb
Guy are these also referred to as fish lice???

Yes, these are commonly referred to as Fish Lice. Thank you for bringing up that really good bit on information.
They come in a variety of shapes & sizes. Generally they are streamlined with large eyes.

reef fool

I have actually noticed a similar beast attached to bluefish. They are usually stuck to them around the gill area. Wonder if it is the same thing or just a cold water version?

jonthefb

reef fool, im pretty sure that what you could be seeign on the fish could be these little buggers...it is my experience that these little guys will attatch themselves anywhere on a fish but seem to target the gills more readily, perhaps because the gill tissue is so fragile and easily deatroyed!
jsut a theory though!
good luck
jon

jonthefb

p.s. good to know that these are one and the same...im gonna have to look a little closer at the little bugger!
good luck
jon

I am so sick and tired of people using my wedding photos for personal gain/notoriety. I hope you are happy, Bang guy!
P.S. My wife hates you. You could have let her put on make up before the photo. I see how you are!!!

demosthenes

Originally posted by RyeBread
Just when I started sleeping soundly again........thanks a lot Guy. :eek: :(

LOL, so I take it you're not waking up screaming from those nightmares about Ophiura's avator anymore? Sure you're not, just keep telling yourself that Rye.

fishkiller

uh........oh sh!+ I think Ihave those in my tank. There are these teeny little white bugs, no bigger than a grain of sugar. How do I find out if they are the bad ones?????:confused: :(