Bug of the Week - Cirolanid Isopods

pmahler3

This thread is great. Keep up the bug of the week. Went to lfs today and they had some nice live rock but upon closer look, I saw these all over the rocks. Glad I read this.
Thanks

bang guy

Originally Posted by Pmahler3
This thread is great. Keep up the bug of the week. Went to lfs today and they had some nice live rock but upon closer look, I saw these all over the rocks. Glad I read this.
Thanks

Cirolanid Isopods are nocturnal and very skiddish. Can you describe what you saw on the LFS live rock? It was probably a beneficial bug.

corally

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify something in my tank (I realize this will be hard because I can't post a picture). I've checked the hitchiker threads and nothing looks familiar. I have these brown rice shaped (but a little smaller than a piece of rice) things floating around the edges of my tank, but they have all ben on the side of the tank where my HOB fuge is, and I first noticed them the day after I put some cheato in the fuge, although I looked at the cheato before I put it in and I didn't see anything. The brown things are kind of see thru on one end and darker of the other end and don't seem to be alive. If I don't take them out they will still be floating in the same place the next day at the water line and on the side of the glass. I was wondering if these or pods or something and they are getting tore up when they get spit out of the fuge?

texasmetal

Okay, so I've had my 10 gallon up and going again for about 4 months now with pretty good success. My Neon Goby's been happy. All my snails and hermits, crabs and shrimp are doing great. I got myself a Clown Goby about 3 weeks ago and he disappeared after a few days. Well... I noticed a bug running around several weeks ago, lightning quick so I didn't get a good look at him. I imagine he came in some of the most recent live rock I've added to my tank.
I found him today underneath a decorative shell in my tank. He was rolled up in a ball, like a pillbug, with 4 long legs sticking out that I could see. He had black sessile eyes. I flipped the shell off of him so I could get a better look and he took off. My Neon is very territorial and ran him out of his area, it's not much smaller than the Neon...
Anyway, it's not a Cyrolanid as far as I can tell, it's not as broadly built as the pictures I've seen, but it does look similar. Considering my Clown Goby disappeared without a trace and this thing definitely fits the bill of a predatory Isopod, I was wanting to know if someone could list some other Isopods we should be concerned about.
I'm kinda hesitant to reach into my tank to move the live rock around considering the horror stories I've read here. I don't want to remove him if I'm mistaking him for a bad guy, but if he is, is there anything I could add to my 10 gallon that would make a meal out of him?

2eyepatchs

I don't know what is going on but I think that I can see everyone's pics but yours. Any ideas? Just wanted to see the wedding photos!!

seahorse11

Bang Guy, Can you post another pic? The one you had in your thread didnt come out on my computer, it just shows a small square box. Or anyone else with a pic? I am setting up a 90 gallon and want to know what these buggers look like. Thanks.

seahorse11

OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? You had those in your tank??? Jeepers, it creeps me out just seeing a picture, I dont know what I would do if they were in my tank! Thanks for the pic so I know what to look for but now I am totally grossed out.

azocean709

I had one of them things...It was pretty big too. about 3/8 inch long. I never saw it in the tank...i was changing the filter pad in the wet/dry and the little bug was stuck in the pad...I tried to pull it off to take a pic of it, but it wouldn't let go and i wound up smashin it. I haven't seen any more in the tank or in the filter...maybe he was a loner.???<praying> just bought 3 firefish...!

jds31788

jeabus what a creature.. where do u come up with this stuff Bang?? i had two damsel die a few weeks ago from what i thought was a bacterial infection that infected a cut on both fis but now im wondering if theres a little sea demon lerking in the shadows of my tank.... i havent seen any activity though. Everything else has survived since the damsel died. good luck to u all.. looking forward to the next bug of the week.

bang guy

Originally Posted by N_Sarno
Is this one? I caught him last night..
No, that's not a Cirolanid. The eyes are way too small. Yours is probably a beneficial detrivore.

lubeck

What is the REAL color of this parasite? is it really white? the "bug" was on my mandrin but now isn't. It looked like a large amphiod pod without legs. it did not have large bug eyes at all. Do they typically burrow into the body? Is there anyother parasites that resemble my discription?

texasmetal

It may have been "Fish Lice"... if you want to google that phrase...
My girlfriend and I purchased an orange Erectus Seahorse about 2 months ago, and while we were acclimating it she found what appeared to be a parasite... sure enough it was. It was small, round, and flat. Kind of a dirt brown color. 2 weeks later we bought a bright yellow Erectus out of the same tank at the same store, same story.
I used tweezers and removed them with no ill effects.
Side note- seahorses sure don't feel delicate.