Building a hood - has to cover 6" of dead space behind tank! Ahhhh!

johnnysalt

Okay, I HAVE to build a hood for this tank.
Facts:
1. The overflow box is almost 6" wide.
2. I HAVE to cover this dead area back here.
3. I want to build something onto/below the hood that will cover this area....down to either the bottom of the tank OR to the floor.
4. It can't look crappy! :) I have a stain matched to the stain of the stand, so it will at least be the same color wood.....but this is driving us crazy as to HOW to do this!
5. If possible, I would like it to hinge out...so I can still get at the overflow/cords/etc!
Has anyone had this issue? We have to do something with this "eyesore" behind the tank! DIY'ers HELP US!! Thanks in advance! :cool:

rlv695

i would try to make a side cover out of plywood cut to fit around the tank so it looks clean and neat.. go to the hood you want to make and attach it to tanks stand with brass hinges on the inside soo as to make it come outward....it can be done just have to be carfulll onn what thickness to use..to thin and it will warp..too thick and it will be to hard to hold in place for getting in place....
hoods are easy to make...go to lfs and see how theres are made and thenn come up with one that suits you...
have fun.. take pics...
:)

von_rahvin

go with SS hinges instead of brass, they cost a tad bit more but, heck they last longer and you can make them smaller. make sure you completely finish the surface of whatever wood you use. this being a stain and then your clear coat finish. if you do not the wood will swell and if it is plywood it will delaminate. another this to remember is if you want 6' bulbs on your 6' tank the hood can not have the outside dimensions of 6'. it will have to have like an outside lenght of like 75" instead of 72" 1.5 " is for the thickness of the wood. this means that you have to have supports running along the inside. i have built hoods and i am builing one for my 135 right now, email me if you want any help (just to know i am typing this at like 2 am so my typos which i am sure are numerous have an excuse :) )
later
robert

mr . salty

JUST AN IDEA,,,But have you thought about a curtain????Make it out of some nice black velvet or something?????Just a thought.

playfair

Good ideas here... you can be as simple as getting a house plant to fit on that corner, or as complex as building the hinge door; I would make a black panel or box that would fit right up against the overflow box to softly "frame" it in.
[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: Playfair ]