Building a Refugium??

bp

I want to build a refuium for my 29gal. reef. Here is how i have it planned out. I was going to have an overflow box/surface skimmer/prefliter or what ever you call it, the thing that hangs into you tank with the "teeth". Thats going to take the water down to a 20gal. tank. My protine skimmer and magnum H.O.T canster fliter are going to be here. Then there is going to be a section divided from this that has the ecosysem mirical mud, microalge, mangroves and live rock. Then the water is going to be pumped back to the tank with a powerhead.(what ever kind you recomend) I also what to put a sea swril on it to get some wave movement in my show tank. The refugium will be lit by 2 65watt PC one is atinic and the other is 10000K. How does this sound, is there any way to improve it?? What type of tubing should I use?

figstr822

You need to skip the canister filter as they are more trouble than they're worth on a SW system. That's not to say you can't use them, but they require much more maintenance than if on a FW system. The thing with "teeth" you're referring to is called an overflow box. Since space is limited under a 29g (I have one as well) you're plan sounds pretty good as far as having LR in and a fuge in one. I would section off one part of the tank (in the stand) for LR, where the overflow drains in to. Then I would section off the other side of the tank for the fuge and use the middle for the skimmer and return to the tank. Make sure you put baffles between the skimmer and return pump to eliminate bubbles returning to the tank. As for a return pump, I like the Mags and I've heard the Quiet Ones are nice as well. Get a pump with at least a 10X turnover rate. That is, one that will turn over your tank at least 290 times at about 4 feet of head pressure since you'll be pumping water up about 4 feet. As for inside the sump/fuge - the get the water from the drain side of the sump into the fuge portion, use a small powerhead, such as a mini juet 400 or 600. Place the powerhead in the area with the LR and run a hose from the small powerhead to the fuge side of the sump.

figstr822

Baffles are nothing more than dividers in the sump. Normally there are 3 of them. The one closest to the pump and the farthest from the pump are siliconed at the bottom of the tank. The baffles are usually about 6 to 8 inches tall, depending on how high you need the water where the pump and skimmer are located. Remember, the pump and skimmer will be on opposite sides of the baffles. The middle baffle is placed about 1" or 2" above the bottom. The 3 baffles are usually placed 1" apart. The water flows over the first baffle (skimmer side), under the middle baffle and over the last baffle (pump side). Baffles are made of 1/4" acrylic that can be cut at a local plastic shop.

mburnickas

No need to since 90% of the linear flow is on the surface. It comes down to fluids behavior and it is fine.

figstr822

I just might do a desing change on my 15g sump for my 65 RR tank which isn't set up yet. I really like that dual design. Thanks for the info.