building a tank

ncabw

I'm looking at building a glass tank 84"x30"x30"
I'm planing on using half inch glass and i will use 2 maybe 3 Cross brackets. i've used alot of different Calculators for fish tanks and they all say different things. from 1/2" to 3/4". i figure with the brackets it will be ok. from what i understand its when u go over 30" u will need thicker glass.
Any thoughts or suggestions. willing to go to 24 in height if that keeps me at the 1/2 glass. I've got a great price on it thats why i'm hoping i Can use it.

locoyo386

Hi there,
Originally Posted by ncabw
http:///forum/post/3011787
I'm looking at building a glass tank 84"x30"x30"
I'm planing on using half inch glass and i will use 2 maybe 3 Cross brackets. i've used alot of different Calculators for fish tanks and they all say different things. from 1/2" to 3/4". i figure with the brackets it will be ok. from what i understand its when u go over 30" u will need thicker glass.
Any thoughts or suggestions. willing to go to 24" (you could even do 26" at 1/2") height if that keeps me at the 1/2 glass. I've got a great price on it thats why i'm hoping i Can use it.
Well the bracket will help so that the tank does not bow. The thickness has to do witht the height only (not really, but for simplicity it is true). At a height of 30" you can go a thin as a 3/8", but I would not recomend it. For the 30" I would recomend 3/4" or 5/8" at least. If you do go with the 24" than 1/2" will be ok. The only difference is that you are going from 312 gallons to 249 gallons, still big enough tank though.