Building Frag Tank

bonesnapper

I am going to build my own frag tank. I haven't figured the dimensions yet, but I am going to do a 10 gallon shallow tank. What dimentions should I use to build this? Also I am going to buy MH lighting, would 150 watts be enough. The MH is a "Clip On" stile, that just clips on the back of the tank. What powerhead would you guys recommend for this set up?
Thanks, James

yerboy

15x15x10 would give you 9.74 gallons
17x17x8 would be 10.01 gallons
150w should be good depending on what you plan to put in it.
koralia 2s would be nice for the dimensions i listed

yerboy

Originally Posted by BoneSnapper
http:///forum/post/2692089
I am going to build my own frag tank. I haven't figured the dimensions yet, but I am going to do a 10 gallon shallow tank. What dimentions should I use to build this?
Thanks, James
from reading that i thought you meant to actually build the tank lol

nwdyr

I think they would totally fry that tank JMO but since I replaced my MH lights with t5's on a 40 breeder my corals look allot better! granted I have mostly softies , but I also have some birds nest and procelipora that are doing well under the t5's. Sometimes there is such a thing as , TOO MUCH of a good thing. Again JMO

loopy101

i just finished building a frag tank dim are 24-18-14 and if i remember right it gave me around 26 gallons which is going to fill up quick.. i have t5's about it and the corals look great and are growing like mad
i dont know alot about mh lighting but just the heat factor in a shallow tank like that might create some issues for you as far as the intesity of the light i am sure it will depend on what corals you plan to grow but it will prolly be over kill on softies...

mr_x

i would make the tank 10"-12" deep. make a couple shelves in it, like steps..and put the corals on them according to light requirements. the deeper you make it, the more powerful light you will need. what will you be using for construction? acrylic? a friend of mine built a large grow out tank out of plywood , and just used acrylic for an area in front to get a side view. mainly, you would look at it from the top down. he lined the inside of the tank with that plastic material you see used as wall coverings in public bathrooms. i forget the name of it. and he just glued it to the wood and caulked the edges.
i don't have the room here, but in the next house, i'll have a couple shallow plywood tanks in the basement. 4'x8'x 12" deep.

S

saltycrab

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2692783
i would make the tank 10"-12" deep. make a couple shelves in it, like steps..and put the corals on them according to light requirements. the deeper you make it, the more powerful light you will need. what will you be using for construction? acrylic? a friend of mine built a large grow out tank out of plywood , and just used acrylic for an area in front to get a side view. mainly, you would look at it from the top down. he lined the inside of the tank with that plastic material you see used as wall coverings in public bathrooms. i forget the name of it. and he just glued it to the wood and caulked the edges.
i don't have the room here, but in the next house, i'll have a couple shallow plywood tanks in the basement. 4'x8'x 12" deep.
You are talking about FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panels). I agree about keeping the tank 12" deep. Also 150 over a 10 gallon will over heat that tank with out some evap cooling which will swing the salinity way too much. If you are going to go so small just go to the pet store and buy a 10 gallon tank for like 10 bucks and buy a T5 fixture some one is selling used (they are for sale all the time) with two 24w bulbs (1 actinic, 1 10k)